Having trouble breaking through

Options
2»

Replies

• Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    what has you stopping? Is it mental or are you just "pooped" When I have runs that last more than an hour, I bring along some fuel. I have been experimenting with fig newtons. They seem to do me well.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Run in a straight line 7.5 miles...then you've gotta do the 15 to get back to your home or car again (run or walk, it makes no difference)
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I originally had trouble breaking into half marathon training (but have since mastered it & marathon trail runs). I found it helpful to join a local marathon training group. Company = motivation on a long run. Plus, I talk a lot with the other runners & this keeps my pace in check.

I also found it helpful to switch to a run/walk model for my long runs. It's a good mental break when you only have to run "x" number of minutes at a time. My pace doesn't feel so painfully slow because the walking helps to slow my HR and pace into a better range without feeling like I'm shuffling.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Okay - quick update. Since soooo many people suggested slowing down the long run, I gave it a whirl for my 16 mile run yesterday. I started out trying to run at 11' per mile. I never really got there though and ended up keeping it at around 10'30" per mile for the first 10 miles. I felt so good going into the next couple miles, I just naturally started to speed up without trying to. With 2 miles to go, I had so much left in the tank. By the end, I was wondering what was stopping me before.

Well anyway, thanks everybody for your thoughts and advice. Cheers!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Usually when people have this problem it is because they are running too fast. Try slowing down a bit?

The other reason is that sometimes they are increasing the distance of their long run but not doing any more running than usual the rest of the week. Try and have your long run as not more than a third of your total weekly mileage.

Finally, if it really is just mental, then use out-and-back routes where you don't turn around till half way so your quickest way home when you want to give up is to keep running.

This!!! I was going to suggest having someone drop you off at a start location how ever many miles you need away from home. For running marathons I prefer the point to point courses for this very reason. I tell myself that there's only one way to that finish line. Another thought - try finding/joining a local running group to meet up with. This was super helpful to me in preparing for my first. Many times I would run the first half of my miles by myself before the rest of the group showed up. Then I would finish the run with them.

Good luck!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Glad slowing down helped.

Here's a dirty little secret. Those elite runners turning in those low two hour times don't run their long training runs anywhere near their race pace (more like 3-5 minutes per mile slower than their race pace). Granted, their slow running pace may be faster than your race pace, but if you are running your long runs at race pace, you are just wearing yourself out and causing yourself a longer recovery time.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    For instance, last week, I was supposed to do 15 miles. I gave up at 9...9?!?! 9 miles is nothing to me, but I couldn't get myself to just keep going. And now I'm totally beating myself up about it.

It sounds like the good advice you received regarding slowing down helped! Great work!

To address the mental part I definitely agree with the down and back route advice as well