2014 MFP LaVuelta Challenge - Graham Watson Thread

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
14810487110_2bb4354b7e.jpg

After the success of the Graham Watson Thread for the Giro and LeTour, I guess it would be a shame not to do the same again for La Vuelta.

For those of you who don't recognise the name, Graham is pretty much the top dog when it comes to racing cycling photography - if you have spent any time whatsoever looking at bike race Images, chances are you've seen an awful lot of his work. Have a look here - http://www.grahamwatson.com/ - at some of the galleries, and you'll realise just how all pervasive his stuff is.

So, as you may guess, in parallel with the "Ride Logging" thread, we're going to have a "Photo Logging" thread, and at the end of the thread, I'll organise an independent judge to view the thread and declare a 1-2-3 of the Images submitted.

Please don't feel like you've got to submit something from every ride, just do something if it takes your eye, and it's generally "on topic" - the judge will be briefed to be looking for things that fit the theme of the Vuelta Espana - so I'm expecting a fair amount of Red Jerseys, Black Bulls, plates of Tapas etc. as well as stunning views (with a bike propped up in frame somewhere)

If you wish to add a bit of a "ride report" with the photo, then all the better - I really think that the whole reporting thing added quite a bit to the experience of the Classics Challenge - both from my part, and for most of the people participating... I know I'd be thinking "I wonder where everyone's been and what stories they will have to tell" when I was riding the back half of my rides this year.

Thread is open for Submissions captured on any day 23rd August through to the 14th September and will close a few days afterwards - but don't forget the "rest day" shots shouldn't really be ride related - that's the time for the Tapas and a Glass of Chilled Fino then...

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This was from yesterday's ride. I generally have to get out early when I ride at the weekend, that way the family are all still in bed. Well that's the theory anyway! :wink:

This sort of thing makes it all worth it....

14819606079_61baf8190a.jpg
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Decided to go explore the local fire roads. On a spectacular blue sky day, everything just seemed to "POP". Odd thing is that there is already a bit of a nip to the wind, not saying it's Fall weather yet, but it's not quite summer anymore.

url=https://flic.kr/p/oCayHA]14849108820_63878fa273_z.jpg[/url]Bluebird skies and dirt road dreams. by Spatialized, on Flickr

Old ranger station.
    15035373932_c859a8564f_z.jpgThere's a red house over yonder... by Spatialized, on Flickr

My favorite kind of road.
    14824726127_77c9586f73.jpgYes, this is a road. #stravaphoto #rideeverything by Spatialized, on Flickr
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    dxb5uc.jpg

Sommers Boat Launch. Would have been a nice day to just hang out but I had 40 miles to go.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    258mdew.jpg

I've always admired this how out on Farm to Market road. I could never live that far out of town and still work emergency work but I still think it's gorgeous.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    2mwii5l.jpg

The sun was setting on the Muskingum River Monday evening... The sun set completely about 10 minutes before I got back to my car...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    2mwii5l.jpg

The sun was setting on the Muskingum River Monday evening... The sun set completely about 10 minutes before I got back to my car...

Wow. Nice photo. :smile:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    vesutw.jpg

View from the top... Overlooking the Mighty Ohio River and Blennerhassett Island... I wanted to wait until sunset, but it really isn't a safe ride home in the dark...
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    2jg1de9.jpg

Stillwater Church on Church Road outside Kalispell. Nice place to stop and take on water or lunch and then push on. Very nice folk.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well - I got lucky today - there was an organised "skyride" going on around the Selby area, where I normally do my Sunday rides, but fortunately it seemed that while it was following much the same route as I do - it was doing it in the opposite direction.

So, apart from the odd homicidal driver, who'd been stuck behind clumps of 40-50 cyclists on tiny winding roads for 10 minutes, then saw a gap and booted it on the wrong side of the road - only to find there was another cyclist coming towards him, it was a decent enough ride.

I even got a couple of snaps of some of the riders when I stopped for a drink...

I've seen happier people on a Bike...
    15093380702_520a3e5d9c.jpgP1010420.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Don't look now, I think he's spotted me...
    14907185267_3af930e614.jpgP1010422.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

So did his mate...
    14907173828_1a27f26946.jpgP1010423.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

anyway, eventually I managed to get off the shared route, and finished the hilly bits at the end of the ride...

14906581778_1ba17fcc4a.jpgP1010435.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

344 Watts on a 6.6% Hill, one Handed, and still not fast enough to get any motion blur on the road :grumble: Make no wonder my pulse rate was a little elevated!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's good to get to the top of a climb in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and enjoy the view :smile:

14918547579_f403744e3f.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Sometimes it's good to get to the top of a climb in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and enjoy the view :smile:

14918547579_f403744e3f.jpg

Wow. Nice view. :smile:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    oHidPD]14907185267_3af930e614.jpg

My first thought was 'his saddle looks too low...' :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options

My first thought was 'his saddle looks too low...' :laugh:

It does look a bit low, doesn't it.
  • veloman21
    Options
    On my ride through quaint Moravian Falls, NC.

]14935365678_7ab7716523.jpg
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Took advantage of the beautiful weather this morning and chose the more hilly but far more scenic route into work this morning, t'was a bit foggy in the lower parts of the road though;
    IMG_0908_zpscb5221d2.jpg

This was the difference a few meters higher!
    IMG_0912_zps918234b5.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Took advantage of the beautiful weather this morning and chose the more hilly but far more scenic route into work this morning, t'was a bit foggy in the lower parts of the road though;
    IMG_0908_zpscb5221d2.jpg

IMG_0912_zps918234b5.jpg

Wow, Just... WOW.

^^^ That's what we do it for, isn't it!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow, Just... WOW.

It's very Rare that it's as pleasant as it was this morning!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    There are some amazing photos on here. Beautiful!
  • veloman21
    Options
    IMG_0908_zpscb5221d2.jpg

IMG_0912_zps918234b5.jpg

Wow, Just... WOW.

That's gorgeous! I love riding in the mountains near my home in the early morning. Watching the sunrise or getting up above the fog layer just feels inspiring!!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Mornings ride. No Instagram filter needed! :wink:

15150164492_4fbfb115ab.jpg

At the top of a popular local climb called "The S Bends or Monument Hill". It's only really 20% at the top, through the S bends but still a killer! :wink: Oh and I'm having to borrow my brother's Thorn Audax while I await some new chainrings.... Lovely steel (858 I think...) framed bike, light, responsive and nothing like I imagined! :noway:

14963853729_03fe12d642.jpg