Breaking up with your box...

I have been at my box since I started Crossfit in 2012. Unfortunately, 2 of my favorite coaches recently split off to open their own box - still within my area though... I already knew I wanted to follow them when they made the announcement, but their box wasnt scheduled to open for a few months so I stayed where I was to continue WOD'ing.

Well the time has come and the new gym is opening in a few short weeks.... so now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation with my current box and let them know I'm leaving.

Its funny - I know its just a gym... but I still have the nerves/butterflies mounting like I'm about to break up with a boyfriend of 2 years!

Anyone have to "break up" with your box before?? How'd you let them down gently?? I'm thinking of going the "its not you, its me" route... lol

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    I have been at my box since I started Crossfit in 2012. Unfortunately, 2 of my favorite coaches recently split off to open their own box - still within my area though... I already knew I wanted to follow them when they made the announcement, but their box wasnt scheduled to open for a few months so I stayed where I was to continue WOD'ing.

Well the time has come and the new gym is opening in a few short weeks.... so now I have to have the uncomfortable conversation with my current box and let them know I'm leaving.

Its funny - I know its just a gym... but I still have the nerves/butterflies mounting like I'm about to break up with a boyfriend of 2 years!

Anyone have to "break up" with your box before?? How'd you let them down gently?? I'm thinking of going the "its not you, its me" route... lol

Just be straight. Tell them that you have really bonded with the coaches who split off and feel like going with them is the right move. You can always come back later if their box doesn't last.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    oh man did i go through this! I had signed up for a year with my husband, but wasn't impressed by one coach and how i was treated as a client while i was pregnant. but since i paid i couldn't leave. I do love crossfit but i wanted to be able to do 10 good pushups on my toes instead of 200 ****ty ones on my knees. so i tried out another box that adds a bit more mobility and strength. anyway. i loved it and switched one month before my membership was up. i sent an email and just told the owner that i wasn't happy with how i was treated by one coach, and have some goals i set for myself this year that i need to focus on and can't do it there. I mentioned all the good things about my old place like all the friends i made, and how this doesn't mean i wont be back. my husband actually still goes to my old box. so i have gone to a few social events and such and the owner, and even the trainer i complained about were perfectly nice. its a business and you can't make it personal. this is about you and your special hour and you want the best or to be with your fav coaches you should never feel bad about that.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    That's a tough one. You could ease out by saying you wanted to check out their new box, and just, stay there?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Don't show up anymore after your membership ends?
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    It's tough. I left my coach/trainer that I had for almost 3 years to start doing CF. We're still friends and I may eventually go back to train at his gym. Since we have known each other so long, I really felt like I needed to let him know in person that I wanted to take a break and try something new and a little bit outside of my comfort zone. Like the others have said, it's a business and just being honest about your reasons is probably the best course.
  • bostonwolf
    Don't show up anymore after your membership ends?

This too. Just treat it matter-of-fact. Tell them you're moving on, no malice. I'm guessing in your situation you aren't going to be the only one leaving to join these coaches.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Yup. I don't see why it has to be so emotional. It's not like they were giving you some 50% discount or something.
  • bostonwolf
    With a good CF gym there's quite a bit of camaraderie, so I understand her problem to some extent. If the two main coaches in my box left to found their own gym and it was in the same geographic area, I'd likely move too.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Yup. I don't see why it has to be so emotional. It's not like they were giving you some 50% discount or something.

A box isn't just a place where you work out-- it's a community. When you share experiences like pushing yourself through an intense workout (or being pushed by your coach), you form a bond. At a typical big box gym, it's really just a business transaction, but CF (or private/semi-private training business models) tend to be more personal.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Breaking up with your box is like any other break-up. The best advice is the hardest. Be straight with them. You don't need to go into the details about why you might have a preference for one coach over another. You just need to say that you have gotten a lot out of their box over the years, but now that such-and-such coach has moved on, you'd like to follow as you feel this coach inspires the best out of you.