Just started

Options
I just purchased a juicer and I am going to try a 2 day fast to see if I like it. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, juice recipes etc I'd love to hear form you! Thanks!

Replies

• redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me personally, this type of approach is difficult to manage long term. I lost a significant amount of weight quickly by incorporating smoothies into my diet but when it started getting cold out the last thing I wanted was a smoothie. I ended up gaining back weight when I stopped doing 1-2 smoothies. I ended up tweaking my diet and now am losing weight slowly but steadily and I am not worried about regression because the changes I am making are sustainable.

I am certain it has worked for other people on a long term basis. I can only tell you my experience. Good luck! I would recommend you read about the benefits of smoothies versus juicing and how the fiber content can impact how your body absorbs sugar.
  • herbertwest7734
    herbertwest7734 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting a juicer!!

You may want to just consider adding juices to your daily life in addition to what you are currently eating to see the benefits there, or maybe add the juices and also try to alter what you are eating to be more healthy maybe. I'm not sure what types of things you are currently eating.

The reason I say this is because although I feel that a juice fast is a wonderful experience I am afraid that if you only do a two day fast to see how you like it you may only experience or concentrate on the uncomfortable aspects and not the positive and it may deter you from juicing in general. So maybe if you get the taste and feel of the juices in general and feel the physical benefits of the juice then you may be willing to go a bit longer. I personally don't get that feel good feeling from a fast until about day 5 or so.

On the other hand everyone is different and maybe by setting the two day goal and not putting too much expectation and commitment into it you will see that you are capable of doing it and be willing to do it again for a longer period or continue on for a longer period of time. Like I said I would just hate for you to try it and feel crappy for two days and give up on juicing in general, because just adding the juice to your life is very beneficial. Either way good luck and I'd love to hear about your results/experience.
  • sharkbev
    sharkbev Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first few day are the hardest and the most difficult. If you are needing to loose a lot of weight I would go at least 7 days so you get through the detox sick feeling and get into the no hunger phase. Then if you can keep going it is much easier. A 2 day fast is just painful and you only set yourself up for failure. I would suggest before You start a fast that u\you just add juices to your diet for a week, so you can get used to juicing and cleaning the machine. Then think about fasting.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a juicer and I am going to try a 2 day fast to see if I like it. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, juice recipes etc I'd love to hear form you! Thanks!

I didn't see your post until just today. So, maybe you've already done the 2 days?

Anyhow, I posted my 'longer term' juicing experience here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1163361-my-experience-with-juicing

And my experience with a 3 day juice binge here.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162607-the-sloth-3-day-detox
  • mellowncalm
    mellowncalm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    are you following any plan? the rebootwithjoe.com is really great.. go to library to get book for recipes.
    Kale = protein you will need a large variety of fruits and veggies.. reboot with joe recommends 80% veggies and 20% fruits in each juice/smoothie

keep on juicing
  • Phillip65
    Phillip65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Man, you guys are hard core... "start with a 7 day fast"... give a guy a break! I say, try the day, two day, then extend as you start to acclimate. I don't think the "uncomfortable" aspects are bad, either... but then I used to fast with only water, for spiritual purposes. But in that, you learn to start small and build. After that experience a juice fast has no "uncomfortable" aspects to me...so, from that, I'd oppose the hard hore juice snob perspective that is going to tell you the "right" way to do it. If that's what you want to do, start small, get pumped, then you know you can do two, then push it to three nest time, and so on. That's how I pushed my non-juice fasting to 10 days years ago, and that was only water! So enjoy, and just don't focus on the negative parts of it, focus on the positive, that's the trick you learn with fasting - no self-pity, you chose to do this!