Flexibility in training plans?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a race coming up in October and I have been trying to follow a program in the book Relentless Forward Progress. I am getting about 90% of the recommended miles in, but life, work, etc. lately have been making it tough to get my long runs in... over the past six weeks I have only manged to get two 15 milers in. Looking at my schedule and factoring in at least a little tapering, it looks like I might only have one opportunity, possibly two, to get a legitimately long run in (25-30 miles). Based on your experience, can someone get by for a race by getting the weekly miles, but not all the long runs? I'm feeling a little nervous about it....

I'm following the 70-mile per week training plan in that book for my first 50-miler race in Nov.

I follow the plan pretty closely, although sometimes I might miss my target miles for the week by a few (similarly I go over sometimes as well). I'd say it's most important to hit your target for your mileage on long runs (and I recall the books states this as well).

On that note, having just completed a 20 mile to 18 mile run back-to-back last weekend, I'll say this type of training is tough. In my plan the rest days that are starred are dubbed as "critical rest days." I found this to be very true as Monday I was VERY tired. However, I do think there is great importance with these back-to-back training events (I have several to complete before the race) more so than a long run itself--at this point, I don't think my 31-miler will be too difficult in comparison to running a 22-18, etc.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That's pretty impressive... I'm following the 50 mile per week plan.... but had to jump in about half-way through because I decided late to register for the race.... I have my 31 mile run coming up in a couple of weeks... I was hoping that it would coincide with a 50k nearby, but no such luck. I will be hoofing it solo along the Glacier Ridge Trail... good thing I like running alone...

I appreciate your input.... I will try getting those scheduled back-to-backs in between now and October...

What race are you doing?
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nashville Ultra.