Fitbit Mileage Incorrect

Options
Jonalee1977
Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
Normally, it takes me 11k steps to reach five miles. Today, it had me a five miles before I even reached 10k. Any idea why? I haven't changed my stride length.

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Was any of your walking brisker or bouncier than usual? Any running, jumping, jogging or bouncy movements during a workout? The reason I ask this odd question, Fitbit somehow decides whether to credit your steps with either your walking or running stride length length. I think it does it minute by minute, but am not sure what increment it uses (I think minute by minute because that is what it uses for the activity intensity minutes). It decides base on the movement data. For running, it is partially based on how close the steps are together but it also seems to have other factors like the up and down movement or how much impact or force each step has. So steps (or minutes?) where the running stride is applied you would be credited a farther distance per step. Walking at a faster pace does often result in longer strides--fitbit's "stride" is the distance you cover per step or footfall. I have tested and calibrated mine, and I came up with a longer stride length when I walked 4 mph vs. 3 mph. I am not sure Fitbit's estimating is that sophisticated (maybe?), my impression is it only worked with a walking stride and a running stride. But if you were walking faster for part of the time, you would probably cover more distance in fewer steps. (Same with running to a larger extent than differing walking speeds).