Questions about the gastric sleeve

Options
Hi all,

A little about myself. I had lap band back in Oct '11. I went for a fill for the first time a year after I had the surgery. I ate what I want when I had it and didn't follow through with the post op diet, so that's the reason why it took so long for a fill. I ended up taking phentermine and lost 70lbs. The band ended up slipping May of last year so I had it removed. I gained all my weight back & realized that I couldn't do it by myself. Now I'm getting the sleeve. My operation date is 10/7. My problem that I think I'm going to have is, being bored with eating the same things over & over again. It seems we are very limited on what we can eat. For the ones that had VSG, do you feel bored with the same foods? I'm open to any kind of feedback from ones who had WSL. Open to friends who have gone through it, going to have it, or curious. All support is welcomed. Thanks !

Replies

• dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm only two months out, so i'm not an expert, but I am not bored at all. I basically eat the same things I ate before, I just eat a LOT less.
    I haven't really eaten meat yet, but when I start, i'll eat less.

I have a friend who's 2.5 years out, and she eats pretty much anything, just less. She's at her goal weight and has maintained it for over a year now.
  • ChefBH
    ChefBH Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't eat any variety of foods you want, once you're past the initial stages of getting to regular foods. Some people choose to eliminate certain foods forever. I choose to prioritize protein, but not having any off limits foods. I'm under 10 lbs from my goal, and had my surgery 7 months ago.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I eat everything but processed wheat, rice, potatoes and processed corn. I can eat 2 tsp of any dessert I want.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was limited during the first 7 weeks while my stomach was healing but once I had moved through all phases of my post-op diet, I was free to eat anything. I am not limited at all. I can eat ANYTHING I want. I choose not to eat certain high calorie low nutrient foods, but it's not because of my sleeve, it's because I don't want to spend my calories that way. Celebrity chef Graham Elliot chose VSG because it would allow him to still be able taste everything he needed to in order to work.

Today I had a fruit salad topped with yogurt for breakfast
    For lunch I'll have chicken and vegetable lentil soup and a small salad.
    For dinner I'm planning to make vegetable fried rice with eggs and salsa. (really it is mostly vegetables and egg with only about 1/4 cup of rice.

AND I'm going to have a coke zero. Carbonation doesn't bother me at all and my doctor says there's no reason for me to avoid it unless the carbonation causes discomfort. According to her it does NOT stretch the sleeve...I choose to only have soda once or twice a week because I view it as a treat and not an every day drink but just like with higher calorie foods, it's ME making the choice not my sleeve. My sleeve wouldn't care if I drank a 2 liter bottle of Coke Zero every day.

YMMV, I do have a larger than average sleeve and I was warned about this from the beginning. I have a LONG stomach. my doctor made my sleeve as narrow as possible without putting me at risk for strictures but there was nothing she could do about the length.. so I I have greater capacity than a typical sleever. I can eat around a cup to a cup and a half of food at a meal. Of course a cup and a half is still much smaller than the massive quantities my pre-sleeve stomach could hold.... but it's still larger than many sleevers who max out at around a cup.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You won't get bored unless you are unwilling to explore all the really great foods that you likely haven't been eating. These are my 2 master lists that I am developing recipes from. I choose foods from the lists and then go to Yummly, Epicurious, Alllrecipes, and food network to find 4 star rated recipes to try out and tweak. Now that I am a size 4!! I focus on food that will repair the damage I have done. My big life goal is to be an active and vibrant centenarian. My Aunt just passed Wednesday at 104!!! Still having her mind intact.

#1 Sun-Dried Tomatoes 258 calories Protein: 14% Carb: 56% Fat: 2% Other (water): 28%
    #2 Soybean Sprouts 125 calories Protein: 13% Carb: 9% Fat: 7% Other (water): 71%
    #3 Winged Beans 148 calories Protein: 12% Carb: 28% Fat: 1% Other (water): 59%
    #4 Lentil Sprouts 106 calories Protein: 9% Carb: 22% Fat: 0% Other (water): 69%
    #5 Baby Lima Beans 132 calories Protein: 8% Carb: 25% Fat: 0% Other (water): 67%
    #6 Garlic 149 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 33% Fat: 0% Other (water): 61%
    #7 Dried Seaweed(Sushi Nori) 306 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 81% Fat: 0% Other (water): 13%
    #8 Grape Leaves 93 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 17% Fat: 1% Other (water): 76%
    #9 Green Peas 77 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 81%
    #10 Succotash(Corn And Limas) 115 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 1% Other (water): 70%
    #11 Wasabi Root 109 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 0% Other (water): 71%
    #12 Portabella Mushrooms 35 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #13 Spinach 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 1% Other (water): 90%
    #14 Alfalfa Sprouts 23 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 2% Fat: 1% Other (water): 93%
    #15 Peas And Onions 70 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 82%
    #16 White Mushrooms 44 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%
    #17 Broccoli Raab 33 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 3% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #18 Straw Mushrooms 32 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #19 Brussels Sprouts 41 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 88%
    #20 Balsam-Pear (Bitter Gourd) 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #21 Podded Peas 52 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 9% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #22 Shiitake Mushrooms 48 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #23 Peas And Carrots 53 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #24 Turnip Greens 29 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #25 Sweet Corn 108 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 25% Fat: 1% Other (water): 71%
    #26 Oyster Mushrooms 43 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #27 Kale 50 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 10% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #28 Artichokes (Globe Or French) 47 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #29 Chives 30 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 1% Other (water): 92%
    #30 Asparagus 24 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #31 Broccoli 28 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #32 Cauliflower 32 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #33 Collards 36 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php#qxkIrCcWxGDwuX8o.99

#1: Turkey Breast (and Chicken Breast)
    Protein in 100g Half-Breast (306g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    30g 92g 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    Chicken: Chicken Breast (58g) provides 17g protein. Chicken Leg (69g) provides 18g protein. Chicken Thigh (37g) provides 9g protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#2: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut)
    Protein in 100g 3oz Fillet (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    26g 22g 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    Other fish high in protein per fillet(3oz or 85g): Tuna (22g), Salmon (22g), Halibut (22g), Snapper (22g), Perch(21g), Flounder and Sole (21g), Cod (20g), Tilapia (17g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#3: Cheese (Non-fat Mozzarella)
    Protein in 100g 1oz Slice (28g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    32g 9g 1g protein per 4.7 calories
    Other cheese high in protein per ounce(28g): Low-fat Cottage Cheese (5g), Low-fat Swiss Cheese (8g), Low-fat Cheddar (6g), Parmesan (10g), Romano (9g). *Low or Non Fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese provide the most protein per calorie, full fat cheeses typically only provide 1g protein per 20 calories, and are less optimal sources of protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Pork Loin (Chops)
    Protein in 100g 1 Chop (134g,~5oz) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    25g 33g 1g protein per 5.2 calories
    Sirloin Roast 3oz (28g) provides 23g of protein, Ham 3oz (28g) provides 18g of protein, 1 slice of bacon (8g) provides 3g of protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#5: Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat)
    Protein in 100g 3oz Slice (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    36g 31g 1g protein per 5.3 calories
    T-Bone Steak 3oz (28g) provides 19g of protein, 1 Piece of Beef Jerky (20g) provides 7g of protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Tofu
    Protein in 100g 3oz Slice (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    7g 6g 1g protein per 7.4 calories
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Beans (Mature Soy Beans)
    Protein in 100g 1 cup (172g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    17g 29g 1g protein per 10.4 calories
    Other beans high in protein per cup cooked: Kidney Beans (17g), White Beans (17g), Lima Beans (15g), Fava Beans (14g), Black Beans (15g), Mung Beans (14g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Eggs (Especially Egg Whites)
    Protein in 100g 1 Large Egg (50g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    13g 6g 1g protein per 12 calories
    1 Egg White (33g) provides 4g protein, 1g protein to 4.4 calories.
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk
    Protein in 100g 1 cup (245g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    6g 14g 1g protein per 18 calories
    1 cup skim milk (245g) provides 8g protein, 1 cup soymilk (243g) provides 8g protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds)
    Protein in 100g 1 Ounce (28g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    33g 9g 1g protein per 15.8 calories
    Other nuts and seeds high in protein (grams proten per ounce (28g)): Peanuts (7g), Almonds (6g), Pistachios (6g), Sunflower Seeds (6g), Flaxseed (5g), Mixed Nuts (4g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php#dOwd2u47u4QsKeLv.99
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 6 months out, other than the first 8 weeks of healing I don't really have limitations on what I can eat. I can pretty much eat anything I ate pre-surgery only in much smaller quantities. I think the big difference is not that I can't physically eat things, it's more like I choose to avoid certain things because they're just not healthy choices. I stay away from rice, pasta, most breads and generally try and stay below 60 carbs a day. I'm not perfect, I have tried all of these things post op but they're not part of my regular diet as they had been before surgery. I'm definitely not bored of eating the same thing. I'm always trying new healthy recipes I find online. It's actually the opposite for me I have so many recipes stored in my pinterest account but I haven't had a chance to make them all because I can only eat so little. I have a long list of "to make" recipes.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 years out and I can eat anything. I am very choosy about what I eat sticking to protein first, then veggies, maybe fruit. I can eat carbs like pasta, potato, rice, etc., but really don't much because once the protein is in and veggies, there just isn't room for carbs. I eat at home most of the time, but we go out too. My variety is great. If you look at my logs you see a lot of the same meals because I like it that way, but I'm not limited by the sleeve except in amounts I can eat at once.

Look the truth is to be successful at any of WLS you have to make a change in lifestyl and habits. The sleeve isn't a magic cure any more than the lap band or the drug was. It's a tool. Use it and you lose the weight. Keep using it and you keep the weight off. If you go back to old eating habits and no exercise, you will regain. Simple truth for everyone doesn't matter which WLS you have.

You can be as adventurous with your diet as you want as long as you stay within your parameters, get your protein and water, and stay within your calories. It's not hard, just takes some planning. Like I said, I'm 3 years out and the only thing my tummy doesn't tolerate well is plain coffee. I get a tummy ache. So I build a little cream into my calories for the day and I'm good.

Pat
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    No. I don't get bored. I just eat less than I used to.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Very recently I've noticed a complete lack of appetite. I'm 3.5 months out and down about 50 pounds. Don't get me wrong. I get hungry, but there's no real pleasure in eating. I just know I need to get something into my stomach. It's not old-fashioned hunger, it is more like I feel my blood sugar bottoming out. I try to get in my protein everyday, generally relying on the protein shakes to supplement that. I like a bite of something but beyond that...not so much.

So do I get bored eating the same things? I dunno. I mean, I think if somebody offered me a cinnamon roll, I'd want that, but I doubt I'd finish it. I don't dream about cinnamon rolls. Or cake. I had a little cake the other day. Two bites, I was done. And I was at a party that had finger foods. I enjoyed those, but mostly just ate stuffed mushrooms.

My husband keeps trying to get me to explain how my attitude towards food is changed, how I actually feel hunger now, that kind of thig, but I can't. And Im a writer, but I'm at a loss for words on this one.

Bottom line - the sleeve works. Slower for some, like me, faster for others, but your food will be restricted and everything will change and the weight will come off. If that is what you need, then that is what you need.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said. I am about 7 months out and have no problems eating anything I want, just it MUCH smaller quantities. I've also made it a point to prioritize protein and generally avoid processed carbs, I avoid a lot of bread products these days mostly because they fill me up too quick without the accompanying nutrients. But I do eat whole wheat oatmeal, quinoa, and whole wheat crackers on a regular basis and I know a lot of people avoid these. I've bought the odd bag of chips, but since these are my kryptonite food I have to be very careful with them in my house.

The first 3-4 months were a bit monotonous but my appetite and desire to eat were a lot less. There are a number of things I ate then that I can't stand now.

One nice thing about going out to eat now is that I usually have leftovers for DAYS, even if I order an appetizer size.