Bagle Mistake

DJRonnieLINY
DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
Lesson learned departmnet. I am 11 months out, have surpassed my goal weight and have generally had a great experience with new foods. Once or twice over the past year I have had bad reactions but nothing compared to my "bagle experience" this past week. I figured I would try one at a retirement breakfast and see what happens - bad choice! Mind you this was not the "lenders type" or faux "baked on a rack" commercial bagle, but a good authentic "New York" bagle. Boiled first then baked.

About 6 hours later I started to feel uncomfortable. At 8 hours I was doubled over. For the next 12 hours I felt abdominal pain like I have never felt before. Debilitating, knocked me out of action completely. Couldn't stand, walk, sit, lie or rest. Brutal lesson to learn but I think I am now a bit wiser.

I have generally had carbohydrates and breads in limited quantities with no issues, guess the mighty bagle is a different story.

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Oh boy! I love bagels and while you did RNY and I did the sleeve, that much bread doesn't sit well for me either. I didn't have that bad a reaction but more than 1/2 of one of those "New York" style bagels and I am really uncomfortable. Lesson for anyone with the WLS smaller tummy, no matter which surgery. Bagels are a "eat at your own risk" food! :tongue:
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Sorry to hear this! Sounds like me with rice. It does.not.work.
    I generally avoid bread but bagels are irresistable once in a while. When I do indulge, I just eat half and I've been okay.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Yeah- bread is about the only thing that doesn't go well with me - and a NY bagel is whole other animal. Just the thought of chewing one well enough to digest seems overwhelming to me at this point- so I haven't even been tempted. Sorry buddy- glad it's over with now!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Sorry you went through all of that, sounds horrible! I haven't eaten any bread, rice, pasta, or simple carbs of any kind since surgery and I am about 11 months out. I was looking forward to trying a bagel once I get to my goal weight - I love bagels! But now... I will have to think twice and be very careful. I am glad you shared this, I will proceed with caution!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    I can do a bagel... well, half of a half of a bagel-- but NO rice. NONE. Zero.

Bread and crackers are ok, too, but I eat them in very limited quantities. I also have the occasional cookie (butter cookies are my fave)-- but again, very small portions satisfy me. For some folks, a few bites lead to a binge, so know your body and what works for you!