pre-op liquid diet

Options
I am scheduled for sleeve surgery on Sept 15 and start my 14 day pre-op liquid diet on Monday. Any words of advice on getting through these 14 days?

Replies

• Sleevarilla
    Sleevarilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had two mottos .. "Grin and bear it," and "shut up and do it."

It sucks, not going to lie. It is hard. I wish I could tell you how to do it other than just grin and bear it, but that's all I have. Drink plenty of fluids, avoid as much temptation as possible, put vick's near your nose so you can't smell anything, keep your eyes on the bigger picture, convince yourself this is a test and use it as a challenge. Whatever works for you.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself that they could cancel your surgery if you don't stick to it!
    Good luck!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I had two mottos .. "Grin and bear it," and "shut up and do it."

It sucks, not going to lie. It is hard. I wish I could tell you how to do it other than just grin and bear it, but that's all I have. Drink plenty of fluids, avoid as much temptation as possible, put vick's near your nose so you can't smell anything, keep your eyes on the bigger picture, convince yourself this is a test and use it as a challenge. Whatever works for you.

LOL @ Vicks...that would certainly do it for me :sick:
    Is the "bigger picture" suppose to be of her?!? :wink:
    I too anticipate the taste/flavors of the shakes/powders as I have a bad gag reflex :ohwell:
    Im hoping for "good news" of my surgery....hopefully sooner rather than later as I completed ALL of their requirements more than 2 months ago
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The pre-op diet kind of sucks, especially the first few days. By about day 4-5, I was pretty used to it and wasn't hungry anymore. But the first few days were hard - I was hungry, had headaches, felt weak, etc. But remember that the pre-op diet is the worst part so just get through it and know that it will be a lot easier post-surgery.
  • suzannemichelle614
    Options
    Well....today is day 6 with 8 days to go. Day 2 was awful! Headaches from the carb withdrawal. Since then its been much better.....and all is fine. However, I do have to admit that when I smell or see something that used to be my triggers (potatoes chips and bread) then my stomach starts twisting for food! But I am proud to say I have NOT given in to any temptation. Keeping my mind on "the bigger picture" AND "my surgery could be cancelled" and that keeps me focused to continue. My calories must stay between 600-1000 and protein between 60-110. Popsicles, puddings and jello's are a yuck to me. The greek yogurt I will eat. I practiculy had to beg to juice a cucumber, tomotoe and romaine lettuce. Now looking back my advice to the next in line would be everything from the posts above and to keep busy. Work on a project such as a hobby....go for a walk....mow the lawn....hehe.....have sex......go fishing do whatever you can to keep your mind off food but DONT go to the grocery store just to pass time. Good Luck to all! :happy:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What also motivated me was the fact that if he couldn't do my surgery laparoscopically he would do the full incision. I had to sign the permission to do that. He wasn't going to wake me up and ask permission,neither was the insurance going to pay for 2 surgeries. I had to know going in that if he could not lift my liver out of the way I was gonna have a huge scar. In my faith we have a tradition of fasting, especially for major events. Take this opportunity to enjoy the Graces that are yielded by your fortitude during this fast. You have already discovered that your carb addiction had a physical price to pay to get past it. You also found you could live without and can continue to live without your trigger foods. Keep reminding yourself, chips never rescued you, comforted you, helped you ,improved your life...they only distracted you from opportunities and living life.
  • suzannemichelle614
    Options
    All so true. Thank you so much for your kind words and support MangoPickle. Have a nice day! :smile: