September Book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. Happy reading!

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Okay I started it ; cool. I would like to be her.:happy:
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Had my grandkids all week. Little time to read ...laundry, collapse and then read. :wink: L Sounds like you are off to a good start.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi all, I am almost done with the book. I liked it. Inspires me to want to write a book. Hey is it my turn??
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hey there,

I just finished All Mortal Flesh by Julia Spencer Fleming. Good read. Mary, what book are you up to in the series?. Hope you are enjoying Cal and your daughter's wedding and activities.

L- I am glad you are enjoying the book. I am just beginning today and am looking forward to it. Kingsolver is a favorite author of mine. Oh, you should write a book. What type were you thinking of?
    Yes, I believe, October is your turn.

Happy Days, Diamondettes. :smile:
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hi Diamondettes,

I finished the book a week ago so just contemplating October book right now. I will let you know.

Lenore
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Good September read. Looking forward to October :happy:
  • mabug01
    Options
    Good morning diamond gals,

I can't believe I survived that wedding! I've been in a post-trip coma for a week. Can't say I'm actually emerging from it yet, but I'm working on it. Loved that Kingsolver book and I'm looking forward to L's pick for October. I'm trying to read The Pale Blue Eye but will gladly put it down for a new book club selection.

Mary
  • mabug01
    Options
    Okay I started it ; cool. I would like to be her.:happy:

Are you a farmer at heart, L?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Welcome back, Mary. Sounds like a great wedding. Pick the rice out of your hair and get rested. Book was enjoyable. Kingsolver is usually hard to beat!!! I just finished I Shall Not Want. Really liked it. Waiting for One Was a Soldier. Love that Clare and Russ and can't put the series down. But I will when L. makes our October choice. Have a great week Diamond Gals. :flowerforyou: M
  • mabug01
    Options
    We're caught up with Russ and Claire now. There's some kind of bonus if you preorder the Soldier book - she will send you a signed manuscript page, if you mail her the receipt, according to her website. I have enough paper for 1 person so I didn't bite.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    September Book "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. Has anyone already read it?
  • mabug01
    Options
    That's a big book - I'm game. Let's make it our September/October book, if Mady hasn't read it already.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Have wanted to read "The Goldfinch" for a long time,so I am game, too. Availability is my concern. Is the book available to the both of you? They have many copies in my library system and there is still a long waitlist. I called my local used book store and put my name on the wish list, I might be luckier there. Will ask some of my friends who actually buy new books, if they have a copy

Just finished "China Dolls" by Lisa See. And am beginning "One was a soldier".

Have a sparkly day, Diamondettes!!!
    M
  • mabug01
    Options
    Oh, I was hoping to get it at the library because it's an expensive used book. I'm going to see what the library has to offer and get back to everyone.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I scored!!! Used bookstore was able to get The Goldfinch for me. Let me know how you are both doing getting the book.

I won't be able to start it for a couple of weeks, so maybe we can make it our Oct/Nov reading challenge.
    M
  • mabug01
    Options
    I found it at the library; although that is a score, it comes with a catch. I can't get a library card until I get a Florida driver's license. I'll find a way, but like Mady, I might not start right away.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    That's great you found it at your library. When I signed up at my local library, it came up as 121 on the wait list. After all this time and there are about 50 copies in the system. Bigtime readers around here :love:

Mary, have you read One Was a Soldier? It is so powerful, I can't put it down.

Maybe we can go mid Oct/Nov on the book. And wait for you to get your license. Guess it is like California, you must go to the DMV within a certain time of becoming a resident and get a new license.

L- How are you doing in getting the book? Or maybe you have it since it was your suggestion.

Well it is raining. Such a welcome sight with this drought. It is helping with the containment of the huge fire up North.

Have a great weekend Diamonettes.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I haven't read One was a soldier yet. If I get that now, I'll never get to our Oct/Nov read! I've decided not to get the Florida dl because I'm going to remain a California resident for now. I'll find the book some other way.

How is everyone? I can't believe it's nearly Halloween already. I really miss the snap in the air that heralds the cooler weather.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Sending some California snap your way :wink: . Although they are predicting some heat again the end of this week. If you can't locate the book we can pick another. At the moment, I am reading Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky which is my other book club choice. Picked up -The Gold Finch...it is a door stop!.
    Also, have Florida family members arriving for a visit towards end of the month, So Diamondettes take your time with next month's choice.. So take care all and no pressure. M
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Oh, wow, I had no idea it was such a big book. Oh well we can do it in Oct / Nov if that works for you both. I am the kind of reader that once I get started I cant put it down but am still attempting to finish that John Grisham book; the Sycamore and havent even looked for The Gold Finch yet. Glad you both want to read it. Anyhow, just recovering from a vaca to Hawaii , what a dream!!

I mean for real I went there. It was a dream come true!.... Happy Reading Diamondettes! Have a sparkling day!