chequamegon fat tire festival in Hayward WI

Options
wendyjbog1
wendyjbog1 Posts: 11 Member
Has anyone been to this mountain bike race? The race is always in September. My husband and son have been doing it for over 10 years. They have a 40 mile race and a 17 mile race. They only allow about 3500 riders total for the two races so to get in you have to sign up in March and they have a lottery type drawing so you're not guaranteed to get selected. Somehow I got talked into entering this year to do the 17 mile race (just for fun). And my name was selected! I'm excited to do this but haven't been training real hard at all. I ride my bike maybe once or twice a week and the most miles I've put on at one time is about 10 miles. Am I crazy to think I can do this ride? The race is on September 13th. Any suggestions on how to prepare myself for this?

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Practice those hill climbs!
    It's nothing but climbs for the first few miles and then lots of up and down after that.
    I've had some friends that have ridden in the race and that was their biggest concern.
    Have fun and good luck. The whole experience is awesome!
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden it but have friends in WI who have.....btwn now and then...keep getting in miles...maybe some hill repeats...and race it to finish it, not to win....make it fun.

DFL is better than DNS
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been to this mountain bike race? The race is always in September. My husband and son have been doing it for over 10 years. They have a 40 mile race and a 17 mile race. They only allow about 3500 riders total for the two races so to get in you have to sign up in March and they have a lottery type drawing so you're not guaranteed to get selected. Somehow I got talked into entering this year to do the 17 mile race (just for fun). And my name was selected! I'm excited to do this but haven't been training real hard at all. I ride my bike maybe once or twice a week and the most miles I've put on at one time is about 10 miles. Am I crazy to think I can do this ride? The race is on September 13th. Any suggestions on how to prepare myself for this?

Anything you do less than 10 days to 2 weeks out will not matter. It's what you did in the months before that will get you through the race. You'll be fine riding 17 miles, so don't worry.

Worry more about the big storm that blew through and damaged the route. Sounds like they will be working around the clock to remove all the fallen trees, do some reroutes and get things in shape for next weekend...