Getting toned after baby #2 ... need suggestions

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm due Sept. 22nd with my second. (I have an adorable 2.5 year old boy, who is the BEST.) I am worried about a lot of things and mostly I just desperately want another healthy baby, like I'm sure you all do.

But aside from that, I also want to actually get strong and toned after I have this baby. I've always been on the thinner side, but never really had any muscle. I'd maybe like to get some definition in my arms and also have a strong back and core. I know I won't have a lot of time with two kids and working... Also, I have almost no experience with strength training. I've done a lot of cardio in my life, but have really neglected any kind of strength training.

I don't have the time or disposable income to join a gym and I'm just really looking for short workouts that I can do at home or on my lunch break that will make me stronger. (Also I'm not a huge fan of yoga. I don't know why, I've just never liked it that much...) Any suggestions? I've been looking at some things on youtube, also thinking about checking out a variety of fitness videos from the library...

Also, what is my problem that I'm so fixated on my post-partum body already when I haven't even given birth? Geez, maybe I just need to relax...

Anyway, let me know if you're feeling similar feelings or have some workout suggestions. If you're due around the same time as me... please friend me! I would really like the encouragement. Thanks!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you have netflix or amazon prime, you should be able to find Jillian Michaels workouts for free to do. She's got 20-min and 40-min workouts and she packs a lot into the 20-min ones. They're good for what you're suggesting and they have 3 levels to start you out slow and get more advanced as you're ready for it. If you don't have netflix or amazon prime, check out the free on demand if you have cable/satellite tv. Otherwise, they're $9.88 each at Walmart/Target last I checked. I've got 5 of hers and I like them a lot. The problem I have is deciding which one I want to do! Hope this helps!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Do you know about the free bodyrock.tv series, or the spinoff by the previous star (and ex-wife), Zuzana Light? That's a good online series for a busy working mom of two children, and it's all stuff you can do at home.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend Jillian Michaels, too! Her videos helped me get really toned after baby #2 and I'm counting on her help again after #3! lol I really love 6 week six pack and No more trouble zones. If you want to get into actual weightlifting (which I also plan to do), the New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great resource. There is also a program called 5X5 Stronglifts (I think I joined a group on here when I was looking into it) that has a good beginner program. I plan on going with the New Rules program when I start back up. (And Jillian). :)
  • oatmealeater
    oatmealeater Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will look into all of these! Pretty sure I can get ahold of Jillian Michaels from the library. As for starting lifting, I would love to do that beginner program. Maybe start slow though.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will look into all of these! Pretty sure I can get ahold of Jillian Michaels from the library. As for starting lifting, I would love to do that beginner program. Maybe start slow though.

You don't need much for lifting either! I looked on craigslist for a cheap barbell and some weights. I also have dumbbells from wal mart that you can add the little metal plates to make them go from like, 5-30lbs each. We don't have much room in my house, so thats it! (Well, I have an exercise ball, too).

Also, if you have amazon prime, a lot of jillian videos are on amazon instant video to watch for free!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you don't have dumbells, I suggest body weight workouts on www.fitnessblender.com. All free workouts & they have a vast variety of workouts. I bought 5 & 10lbs weights off craiglist for $15 after a few months of doing bodyweight workouts & saw a huge improvement on my muscle tone & definition. Many workouts are under 20mins, which I like.