6 weeks until Chicago Marathon-can I go Keto now?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm training for Chicago and having some challenges--I seem to be getting slower and slower. I just read Keto Clarity by Moore and Westlake and am thinking of starting a ketogenic diet today, I understand it could take a few weeks to get into nutritional ketosis so my question is, with Chicago 6 weeks away, is it too late for me to do a ketogenic diet before the race? I'm a slow run/walker and just aiming to finish as this is my first marathon in 7 years. I'm thinking of doing it anyway for my overall health. I'm overweight in spite of training since April--proving once again it's not calories in calories out but what I am eating and what I'm sensitive to/addicted to (sugar and starch). Thanks for any pointers.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    It takes few weeks and may be couple of months for your body to adjust fat as fuel when running. Performance will be sluggish, you might have to slow down a bit before going faster. It gets better after few weeks, the important thing is make sure you get your electrolytes, sodium and potassium during the run. Its late, you can try and see if the other options aren't any better.