reasons for being glad that i lift

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i was out on my front balcony this morning (smoking), and this woman went by on the sidewalk . . . very unstable and shuffling. i watched her step down into the street to try crossing, and of course she fell. turned out later that she'd had a stroke about a year ago.

down the stairs and out the door in my pyjamas to help her up. she insisted that she was okay, but me and a random wandering mailman (well, not really; he happened to be delivering my latest yarn binge, so now i feel less guilty about buying it too) helped her up again about three houses later, and it ended up with both of us putting her into my car and me driving her home, still in my pyjamas. he met us there and the two of us saw her into her apartment.

i'm so glad i lift weights. not just because she wasn't a tiny person at all, but i was still strong enough to be her lever to help her get up, and then hold her until she found her balance again. also because i think the whole process of lifting made me much smarter about *how* to help her, since i know something now my own self about body parts that aren't doing things quite the way that they should. plus, it turned out that she had just gotten her own workout room set up, so saying that i'm into lifting as well made a great non-insulting excuse for me to come all the way into her home with her and see her safely onto a couch.

she wanted to show me her gear ;-)

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I teach swim lessons every summer, and being a fun teacher ;) I like to throw the kids up into the air so they can do epic cannonballs into the water. Plus, rarely is there a child who doesn't like being thrown into the air.

Well, this summer, I easily was able to throw the kids at least 2-3 feet higher in the air. Thank you OHP.

Btw, I lift babies and toddlers over my head like a champ.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    I love these stories. Being strong is so wonderful.

Since I started serious lifting 9 months ago, I have been in an emergency situation at my work twice where I needed to move a person who was unable to walk on her own. While moving someone might have been possible before lifting weights, I'm sure I would have injured myself or at least been very sore. Once I carried a (small) hemorrhaging woman to her bed, all my myself. The other time my co-midwife and I carried a much larger woman together down the hall. My co-midwife does crossfit and I think we make a very good team :)

Those of you who have taken childbirth education classes will probably know what a "double hip squeeze" is. For a woman laboring naturally, its often an incredible relief. Alas, I had always delegated that job to a man because of their "upper body strength". Now I can do it! I've also had to do a couple random emergency obstetric maneuvers that I am sure were more successful because of my increased upper body strength, and maybe most especially, my grip strength.

I used to suffer a lot of soreness after long, physically demanding, births. But I don't at all anymore. Every if I've been doing the DHS all night long.

Also, my bags are lighter. Even though they aren't :D

And yes, throwing my kids into the air: <3
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Excellent stories...I love being stronger too, I have always been fairly strong, but now I feel like I am 10 times as strong.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Btw, I lift babies and toddlers over my head like a champ.

^^ this made me laugh way more than it should have :laugh:
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lifting babies is much easier! My little one is almost 18 months and 33 lbs.. at 99% for weight and height. hahaha Hes not fat, he is solid, In fact i want to get him a little play weight set. He can lift my 10 lb weight with one arm and his elbow was even bent so it wasn't a struggle for him. :happy: Takes after his momma!

I have had several clients that have said i am much stronger so hopefully I can continue my work for another 18 years.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Awww I love these stories!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Getting into heavy lifting made me totally reconsider my goals when it comes to my body.

For as long as I can remember, I've figured 125 was my ideal weight. Once I started lifting, I realized I'm pretty darn strong even if I am significantly overweight. This made me do some calculating and I discovered that I already have 125 lbs. of lean body mass. Which means, in order to get to that weight, I'd pretty much have to get to zero percent body fat. ZERO! Yes, impossible, and not what I want at all. My new goal weight is ~160 lbs., with a target of ~23% body fat. Once I get there, I'll see what's what.

This realization and new number was a watershed moment for me. Suddenly my weight loss goals felt possible and empowering. And I honestly don't think I would have realized it without the mental shift that comes with heavy lifting.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    Getting into heavy lifting made me totally reconsider my goals when it comes to my body.

For as long as I can remember, I've figured 125 was my ideal weight. Once I started lifting, I realized I'm pretty darn strong even if I am significantly overweight. This made me do some calculating and I discovered that I already have 125 lbs. of lean body mass. Which means, in order to get to that weight, I'd pretty much have to get to zero percent body fat. ZERO! Yes, impossible, and not what I want at all. My new goal weight is ~160 lbs., with a target of ~23% body fat. Once I get there, I'll see what's what.

This realization and new number was a watershed moment for me. Suddenly my weight loss goals felt possible and empowering. And I honestly don't think I would have realized it without the mental shift that comes with heavy lifting.

That is wonderful! Its not always about the scale says and i'm so glad that mine is put away. :laugh:
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is minimal in comparison, but I work in an electronics shop for marine electronics and we needed to move a work bench. One of the guys (who probably weighs the same as me) couldn't move the bench and I caught myself snickering (not nice I know), he said "Hey, can you do it" and I DID! I just put my A** into it and moved it like a champ!

I also have 2 beautiful little girls, 4.5yo who weights 46lbs and a 1yo that weighs 21lbs and I make them "fly" all the time. They laugh and coo and it makes my heart melt!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This is difficult to describe, but does anyone else feel different when they do simple things such as walk or stand up? I feel kind of aware of my body and "powerful".

I am also noticing changes when carrying or lifting bags. On the train the other day I lifted suitcases to the top shelf and it just wasn't an effort.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    This is difficult to describe, but does anyone else feel different when they do simple things such as walk or stand up? I feel kind of aware of my body and "powerful".

Lifting the kirby vacuum up the steps is simple. I can feel more muscles activating just doing normal things. Its like a switch was turned off and now its on.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hoicking 80# dogs around is not a problem anymore (unless they pee on me :P).