C Section or Regular delivery?

Options
So talking with my Dr. because Ive had both types of deliveries he is letting me choose which one I want. My first 2 were normal, but my last one was emergency C and a month early. I had a really bad experience with the C section, but it was with another Dr. and totally different practice that I was not happy with at ALL. (I had to have this hospital and Dr. bc of insurance.) Im now on new insurance and back to my #1 choice Dr. which I LOVE.. so the situation is I can have a normal delivery again, BUT WILL NOT be able to be induced with pitocin. She will have to come on her own. OR have a C Section and have it planned out. What should I do??? Also, has anyone taken Primrose oil to help with labor?

Replies

• justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have always thought babies come when they are ready. My son was 3 days late but I never once thought about starting it for him. A c section scares the crap out of me. It's the last thing in the world that I would want to choose. I feel they are for emergencies and emergencies only. Let your lo pick their own birthday.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have always thought babies come when they are ready. My son was 3 days late but I never once thought about starting it for him. A c section scares the crap out of me. It's the last thing in the world that I would want to choose. I feel they are for emergencies and emergencies only. Let your lo pick their own birthday.

I agree!
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my first and a vaginal birth with my second. I am aiming for another vaginal birth this time around as well, for me, the recovery was much easier and quicker- although, I did have a very easy c-section recovery considering it is a major abdominal surgery.
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have no c section experience but I have tried evening primrose oil and it didn't seem to do anything for me. Both my babies were late and although they were huge (both were almost 11 pounds), I was able to deliver naturally. I think it is healthier to wait till they are ready to come out than to have surgery if you can avoid it
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I had a scheduled c-section (please don't mistake that for "I wanted a c-section" as that wasn't the case but) due to a number of factors. Honestly, it was a piece of cake. Got to the hospital at 6:30 on a Wednesday morning. Wheeled into the operating suite (adjacent to the recovery room, which was across the hall from my private room) at 8:00. Delivered our 22", 9+lb baby girl at 8:29. I was nursing by 9 and in my regular room at 10, had visitors by 11. I felt great and started walking the next morning and went home Friday. By Sunday I was shoveling snow :) At one week I went in for a check up and had the staples removed and was given clearance to do "whatever I felt like, just listen to the body".

As much as I really wanted a non-medicated, vaginal delivery...I can honestly say I LOVED my c-section. When push came to shove my doctor went over the factors that indicated I'd likely end up with an emergency c if I didn't schedule one. Then I took into consideration that the "A-team" anesthesiologist, nurses, etc... don't work overnights or weekends in my part of the country. I figured I'd be in better hands with an early morning, weekday deliver. For me, it was perfect.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have two kids.
    Both were emergency Csections.
    I wish every day I could do something to change that.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Every woman is different and every birth is different, so it's hard to know what your experience will be like in advance. A C-section could be a terrible experience with infections, a baby who has difficulty breastfeeding (if that's your goal), lack of initial skin-to-skin bonding, a long recovery, etc. Or it could be easy, like the last poster's, although honestly that's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe a C-section as easy. You just can't know. It seems to me that a vaginal delivery is a safer and more conservative option in terms of both mother and baby health.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Babies come when they're ready....take that from a mum of 3 overdue babies (10, 12 and 11 days) who has tried everything lol. They allow you to go 12 days overdue here. I was induced with my 2nd with a pessary.

I've been very lucky and had 3 vaginal births, just using gas and air, and not needing stitches, so I am probably biased, but there's no way I'd ever choose a c section. I was home the same day as having my second two, and only had to stay in with my first as he wouldn't feed.

I suppose it depends why you ended up with a c-sec. If it's more than likely you'd end up with it happening again, or your health or your baby's health is at risk, then of course go for an elective c-sec, but if there's no indication anything will go wrong, then go for a vaginal delivery.

In England if you've had a previous c-sec they won't induce you, but they will let you go overdue.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency C section with my little boy and found it pretty good to be honest. I had him Wednesday at 4.30am moved to my own room and stayed in until friday. I then had a week at home not doing much then started to go for a few walks. By week 3 I was pretty good. By week 6 I was great.

I think I would have another as was told would poss need one anyways so think I prefer a planned one.

I know recovery is usually longer but when I had my little boy my friend had her little boy natually ( but with forseps) and her stitches got infected and she actually took quite a lot longer to heal than me.

I suppose everyone / birth is different though
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree. As much as a natural birth scares me (I'm expecting my first), I think a C section scares me even more, from what I've heard. I had a major surgery last year and the anesthesia and everything just made me so sick... I don't want to go through this again.

Here in Quebec, you cannot "choose" a C section. I wouldn't be able to request it even if that's what I really wanted. The doctor will schedule or do it if it's required for a reason or another. Otherwise, we have no choice but to go through vaginal delivery.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My goal is to bring this baby into the world as safely as possible, whether that be vaginal or surgical. People get so tied up with c-section vs. vaginal delivery. If you have a healthy baby at the end of the day, I think that's what matters.

If I can, I will do it the old fashioned way. I will opt for pain relief if necessary. However, if a C-section is required, so be it. I've had three surgeries in my lifetime and I was always up and about in less then a week. I never had any issues with the anaesthesia or recovery. I was lucky.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Yes, I agree. As much as a natural birth scares me (I'm expecting my first), I think a C section scares me even more, from what I've heard. I had a major surgery last year and the anesthesia and everything just made me so sick... I don't want to go through this again.

Here in Quebec, you cannot "choose" a C section. I wouldn't be able to request it even if that's what I really wanted. The doctor will schedule or do it if it's required for a reason or another. Otherwise, we have no choice but to go through vaginal delivery.

It's the same in England. You can have a c-sec if you've had one previously, if your baby is breech, or if there are other complications. A friend of mine tore really badly with her first, so she requested an elective c-sec second time and got it.

I had my third baby in a midwife led unit where the only pain relief available is gas and air or pethidine.
  • melbwhite
    Options
    Well the reason I had him by C was that he was breech and his heart rate was rising too quickly. The a bad experience was really bc of the nurse. The doctor ended up kicking her out of the OR bc of so many major mistakes she was making. After talking with the hubby, we are going to try and let her come on her own unless the doctor gives us a reason for a C.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Well the reason I had him by C was that he was breech and his heart rate was rising too quickly. The a bad experience was really bc of the nurse. The doctor ended up kicking her out of the OR bc of so many major mistakes she was making. After talking with the hubby, we are going to try and let her come on her own unless the doctor gives us a reason for a C.

Sounds like you'd be ok to try for a VBAC then as the c-sec was for a breech baby. Unless this one is also breech, there's no reason to assume you can't give birth vaginally. My third was breech until 36 weeks, and I was so scared I'd have to have a c-sec! I was so, so pleased she turned!