Prescription sunglassess

Options
Archon2
Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
Anyone have a good recommendation for some prescription sunglasses that are meant for cycling and also photocromic?

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Oakley or Rudy Project, I would suggest looking at their websites to see which models are suited to prescription lenses and who your local stockist are and then trying them on for size and fit.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I've actually got a pair of the Adidas ones with a "prescription insert" lens behind the exchangeable ones. That way I can have different lenses for differing conditions - yellow for flat/grey days, clear for night riding, and a set of photochromic smoke lenses for general riding. They're the Adidas Adivista model, with the "frameless" insert.

Came in about the same as the cost of a pair of Oakley Frames - before the prescription glazing. I think for the full Oakley rig I was looking at more than the frame of my best bike...

14950086527_1cdaff2490.jpg
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I had some like TBY's from Specsavers (UK Opticians) - Osiris I believe. But since I had my eyes 'Zapped' I no longer need 'prescription' anything :tongue:

Best thing I ever did TBH! I know it isn't for everyone, but for me (who hated wearing glasses all the time), it was great!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good ideas. I am not going to get Lasik anytime soon (too chicken!) but I will check those brands out.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've actually got a pair of the Adidas ones with a "prescription insert" lens behind the exchangeable ones. That way I can have different lenses for differing conditions - yellow for flat/grey days, clear for night riding, and a set of photochromic smoke lenses for general riding. They're the Adidas Adivista model, with the "frameless" insert.

Came in about the same as the cost of a pair of Oakley Frames - before the prescription glazing. I think for the full Oakley rig I was looking at more than the frame of my best bike...

Is this something that Adidas offers or just something that you were able to get done to a pair of Adidas sunglasses?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

Is this something that Adidas offers or just something that you were able to get done to a pair of Adidas sunglasses?

Adidas provide the "insert" - there's actually two different types for this frame-set, one is just an addition to the nose-piece which holds the prescription lenses, and is almost invisible (that's the one I got) and the other is almost like a small wire-frame pair of glasses with no arms to go over the ears - a bit like the old fashioned "pince nez" (think morpheus in the Matrix films) but instead of being fastened to your nose, they fasten to the external frames at the nose-rest.

Rudy Project, Bolle and a few other makes do the same kind of thing - I just mentioned the Adidas ones as they're the ones I'm using now, and find them pretty wonderful...

Loads of 'em here...

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Browse-by-Sport/Cycling/Cycling-Prescription-Sunglasses/