Tips for My First 5K

Options
Laughter_Girl
Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
My very first 5K is scheduled for a little over 2 weeks from now. I completed the C25K app several months ago, and I haven't done much running since that time. I wasn't expecting to complete the app on schedule and reached my goal earlier than I probably should have - especially since I knew I wouldn't be doing the 5K until this month. :yawn: I started power walking and interval jogging to help prepare myself, but I'm not sure that is enough.

That being said, do you have any helpful tips for race day and leading up to it for this newbie? Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    #1 Enjoy it.
    #2 Make sure you have worn the outfit and shoes you plan to run in your 5K in at least a couple of your training runs.
    #3 Enjoy it. It's your first race, so no need to pressure yourself in a finishing goal other than finish it.
    #4 Make sure you eat a breakfast of some sort that you have had in the past. Nothing new on race day. See #2 as well.
    #5 Make sure you eat meals the day before the race that you have eaten in the past. Again, nothing new. Eating foods you never ate before could have surprising effects on your stomach that you don't want to encounter on race day.
    #6 Also related to food. Carb up the night before and get plenty of rest. The day before is when you want to make sure your glycogen stores are all full. No fatty foods. No salads or lots of fiber the day before (unless you plan to stop at a couple of porta johnies during the course).
    #7 Make sure you are well hydrated before the race but not a full bladder. Again (porta johnies).
    #8 Know what pace and/or approximate time you like to finish. At the start of the race, line up with people who will be running a similar pace as you.
    #9 Don't line up near the front. And if you do get caught up near the front and everyone is running faster than you, do not keep going with them. You will tire out too fast and the second half of the race will be sucky. See Rule #8 to prevent this.
    #10 Don't start too fast. Goal is to know what your even pace is. Starting too fast means you will end much more slowly than you anticipated.
    #11 It's race day. You will naturally be excited and have the adreneline running. There will be a crowd. Other racers. it's easier to start faster than what you are used to. See rule #10 above.
    #12 Race day breakfast. Something light and full of quick carbs. Runner's World Big Book of Half Marathon and Marathon Training suggests no more than 600 calories 3 hours before race time (or 200 calories an hour before race time). Again, it should be foods that you have eaten before.
    #13 smile for the camera (there may be photographers on the course) Look like you are enjoying the race when you see one. last thing you want to do when you scan through the race photos is to see yourself looking like you are in pain.
    #14 wear your bib number on the front of your chest and follow all the directions in your packet they gave you.
    #15 never wear the shirt they give you for the actual race. You can wear it for the next race, but not just this one.
    #16 and most important rule. Enjoy it! If you finish, it's an automatic PR (personal record). Enjoy all the post race goodies that they will give out. free banana, free orange, free muffin or bagle, free chocolate milk, free ice cream, free cookies. free massage (different races have different goodies).
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Also very important. Thank all the race volunteers. Without them, the race would never happen (or may be super expensive). No need to give a long speech as you are running through the water line during the course as you grab that tiny water cup. Just a simple nod, or smile, maybe a quick thanks (if you are not breathing too hard). But at the end, there will be plenty of race volunteers that will be handing you your post race bananna,ect. Make sure you let them know how much you appreciate their efforts.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First of all - Congrats on completing the C25K program!!!!
    I'm assuming your 5K is Sept 20th - so you have a little time to work on feeling good for the race.
    Keep doing your intervals of running/walking - push yourself when you are feeling good, etc.
    The week of the race I normally run Mon & Wed, cross train on Tues and then take Thurs & Fri off - but do what feels right for you!
    The day of the race - eat what you normally would eat, wear the same clothes/shoes that you have trained in and drink plenty of water. You probably will be feeling nervous/excited/worried, etc. - this is normal! Enjoy the excitement and the people of the race.
    Line up farther back at the starting line. Don't go out too fast, don't try to keep up with those around you/passing you, etc. Stay at your own comfortable pace. Once you have warmed up and are feeling good you can push it a little, but don't worry if you feel like you need to walk...its OK to walk!! Enjoy the race, the people, the volunteers handing out water...then when you see that finish line...SMILE because you have just finished your first 5K!!! Text your family and friends and celebrate your hard work!!! Take a picture!!! I'll be thinking of you...let us know how it goes!!
    GOOD LUCK & ENOY!!! :happy: