Anyone have a ivc filter put in before surgery

Options
Hi I first want say this board has been so helpful just reading and seeing everyone's stories your successes and struggles made this decision a little easier .I saw the surgeon today and because I have lupus and it caused me to have blood disorder they want put in a filter has anyone had to have one ?

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OMG!
    I am so glad you posted this...seriously!!
    Ive been waiting for almost 3 months to be set up w/ the surgeon since its been that long since completing ALL of my MANY requirements.
    I went in for what was suppose to be my final meeting and getting set up w/ a surgery date and instead he informs me that he wants me to have a filter put in.
    Im so upset because this was suppose to be the BIG day for me...I mean if he wanted this to be done prior to, then why not have had me already doing this in the past 3 months that Ive been waiting.
    I couldn't believe it....everyone walking out had gotten their date....now that's just another thing I have to do :mad:
    Id never heard of anything like this from anyone else since seeing your post!
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi I never heard of it either. Their doing mine the same day as surgery it will be done right before the surgery which makes it a little easier but never heard anyone having one put in . I'm sorry you had wait I can understand how frustrating that is to think your at the end and one more thing to do. The surgeon yesterday scared the crap out of me so I'm trying to get everything done before I chicken out so I understand .
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The surgeon yesterday scared the crap out of me so I'm trying to get everything done before I chicken out so I understand .

My last consultation with the surgeon (the one where I got my surgery date) was certainly the most 'scary' in the sense that it was the one with the most frank discussion of the risks of surgery. I believe my program has been pretty good at balancing the short term negatives (the first six months of healing/eating restrictions) with the long term benefits of the surgery. In order to maintain their status as a Center of Excellence, I believe that they are judged on their long term success rate and as a result they have a real interest in making their patients successful, which includes dissuading people who are not ready or willing to make the changes necessary from continuing with the surgery.

Stay strong and take in the information, but keep your eye on the long term prize!

I am coming into the last three weeks before surgery and starting to get cold feet and thinking of scenarios where I will regret my choice. This group and all of its wonderful people really help me to continue to see the positive future.

Rob
  • Shoefly318
    Options
    Hi rob you are right I know he he was only doing his job explaining the risks and I guess the extra risk I have. And you are right I have to keep thinking of the long run and hopefully that will get us through. Hope it goes by fast for you I know the waiting is hard
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are both having surgey delayed for an ivc filter placement. However....if your surgeon wants to place the filter try to trust the process. It is much better than having to deal with a clot in your lungs later. Really though, I don't think that it should delay it that much-outpatient, no real recovery time. How much time are they saying?

Peace and joy, Elizabeth
  • Shoefly318
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are both having surgey delayed for an ivc filter placement. However....if your surgeon wants to place the filter try to trust the process. It is much better than having to deal with a clot in your lungs later. Really though, I don't think that it should delay it that much-outpatient, no real recovery time. How much time are they saying?

Peace and joy, Elizabeth

Hi my surgery is not delayed I'm still in the beginning process was just asking if anyone had one mine will be put in the time of surgery