First 5K - What to eat BEFORE race

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
My first 5K is a week from tomorrow. I feel ready and excited!

My question is what should I eat before? The race is at 8am and they want us there are least an hour early. Since it will take about 30 minutes or so to get there, that means I will probably be leaving around the 6:30 range. That's a good hour and half BEFORE I actually race. What should I do about breakfast? I know they are having food there (I've seeing them post lots of things on Facebook and been getting lots of email); however, I made the mistake once of running to soon after eating and got major stitches in my side. What is safe to eat?

Replies

• MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    YAY to your first 5K!!!
    What do you normally eat for breakfast? Bring it along with you and eat in the car on the way...but don't eat too much!
    A banana, 1/2 bagel, piece of toast w/ a little peanut butter...just a little something to tide you over until you are done. Just don't eat something that you normally wouldn't have, etc.
    Good Luck!!! ENJOY!!! :happy:
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat anything with fat in in before a race. It slows me way down. Simple carbs. Toast & banana. Light no more than 250 calories for me. Anything more than that slows me down. Try to eat at least an hour to an hour and a half before the race.