High Protein Vegan Recipes?

Options
sayray16
sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with amazing vegan recipes that are very high protein. I have started an intense weight training routine and I seem to always be deficient in protein on a daily basis. Personal recipes, online recipes, recipes that you love, all ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your ideas and help in advance!

Replies

• kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like seitan and green peppers. Pair it with some quinoa and I think it would be perfect ^_^. Tvp chili, black beans and brown rice, edamame and quinoa, chickpea and tofu curry, lentil soup, lentil tacos, hummus black bean wrap (way yummier than it sounds).
  • daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree. Seitan is a great source of protein. One cup is 50-60 grams of protein. I mix it with black beans, red pepper and a salsa. It's a lot cheaper to make than buy too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVBFO7nu9o

Also, I put 2 scoops of Vega Sport Protein into a smoothie and that adds 52 grams of protein.
  • sayray16
    Options
    I like seitan and green peppers. Pair it with some quinoa and I think it would be perfect ^_^. Tvp chili, black beans and brown rice, edamame and quinoa, chickpea and tofu curry, lentil soup, lentil tacos, hummus black bean wrap (way yummier than it sounds).
    That sounds amazing! YUM! I will definitely try that. Thanks for your input!
  • sayray16
    Options
    I agree. Seitan is a great source of protein. One cup is 50-60 grams of protein. I mix it with black beans, red pepper and a salsa. It's a lot cheaper to make than buy too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVBFO7nu9o

Also, I put 2 scoops of Vega Sport Protein into a smoothie and that adds 52 grams of protein.

Thank you for the link! I'm definitely going to try this! You're awesome!
  • Journey0912
    Journey0912 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too seem to be missing the mark in the protein dept. For the most part I'm not a big consumer of fake meat products and I don't eat soy based faux meat products. I try to stay away from as much soy as possible (Dr. recommended). I have purchased store-bought seitan on occasion (usually when I wanted a BBQ sandwich - Heat with BBQ sauce, spoon over bun and viola!)

I watched the video that Dave posted the url to on how to make (homemade) seitan. {{{Thanks Dave}}} Seems fairly simple. I was wondering though......any idea how many calories per say....... 1/2 cup? (Or should I weigh it.....ounces?) I don't think I could eat an entire cup of it.

I also need to try some more vegan protein powders. I'm almost out of the Vega One Vanilla Chia one and I'd like to try something different. Looks like I'm definitely gonna need to add a protein shake to my daily intake, otherwise I'll never meet my protein requirements as stated on MFP.
  • leslime8
    leslime8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In addition to many of the ideas I've seen posted above, I use tempeh, especially if I'm in a hurry! I've tried many brands, but if I'm going to use it on a sandwich (with high protein bread and hummus, a few drops of sesame oil, soy sauce, rosemary, tomato and spinach leaves) I like Westsoy 5-Grain (the taste is milder and there is less discoloration). A serving size is one-third of a package, but I'll often cut the package in half and get about 20 grams of protein that way. It's great after a long run.

It's heavily processed (I think) and high in sodium, but when I'm on a long hike (like 4 or 5 hours) I'll pack one of those Wildwood flavored tofu blocks (like Teriyaki flavor) and have it halfway through. It seems to replace the electrolytes and gives me lots of energy. 28 grams of protein in the whole package; 300 calories.

I'll echo what everyone says about lentils, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc. Ideally I make my own soup, but if I need something "instant" I'll take dried instant lentil soup to work, use the hot water setting on the water cooler, let it sit for 10 minutes, and eat it with a piece of high-protein bread and an apple.

Also, this is kind of weird and my husband looks at me like I'm crazy, but I'll toast Ezekiel Raisin Bread and add sliced tofu and salt to it. For some reason it tastes really good to me in the mornings and sustains me without upsetting my stomach before long or intense workouts.

Good luck to you!

Leslie
  • VeggieGal777
    VeggieGal777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey Leslie, Great post!! :smile:
  • daveinreston
    daveinreston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seitan is only 180 calories for 1/2 cup. 30 grams of protein.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    Options
    I have a smoothie every AM and in that smoothie I add a scoop of rice protein and a scoop of pea protein powder just to try to make a complete protein from the two of them. That usually gets me to about 55 grams per day on its own. Then I try my best to have at least 1-2 more meals with protein in them. I am falling short too each day (usually 70-80 grams, would like 100+) but it's hard to balance caloric intake (most days 1200-1400), protein goals, and sanity :) hope it helps.
  • leslime8
    leslime8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Veggiegal!