wls

Options
hello I have been reffered from my dr for surgery but have to go to weight management group first to lose ten percent of my weight before they will consider me for surgery. I am seriously struggling to do this I want this so much but am finding it hard to do I have been through so much emotional stress I have lost most of my family including my 23 year old son in the past five years. I realise this is not an excuse to not losing weight but I am trying and it's not happening due to my emotional state. I have been doing a food and health course myself and passed the exam and also I have finished a trainers course on healthy hearts so I know wha I need to do, I just want to ask if anyone knows if knows if the surgeons migh consider doing gasric surgery on the nhs even if I have failed .

Replies

• AnewLaura
    AnewLaura Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel for you so much and your situation. Life gets in the way and makes it so hard to be successful in our weight journey. Especially during times of stress the cortisol in our bodies rises and weight loss can be very difficult, and if you are a emotional eater it makes it even harder.

The reason that the surgeons program ask you to lose 10% of your body fat prior to surgery is to see if you are really committed to the program and to make sure that after surgery you will work hard to follow all the instructions and maintain the success you will have. Some programs will not ask you to lose the weight prior but the programs that really care about the MIND and the WHY of weight gain will in my opinion.

Here is what I heard right before starting to lose my 10% prior to surgery... the surgery is only a tool, after surgery it is all you still making the choices of what you are going to put in your mouth. At first it is more difficult to eat the same way you used to but eventually you will be able to eat more.... changing the way you think now helps so much after surgery as it is a big life change. Also, you will get out of this program as much as you put into it!!

You are worth every moment of taking care you....struggles come in life and they don't go away after surgery... You can do this.. if you can do this now with all your struggles you will have no problem after... maintaining.....

You can do this.... get that 10% off and use your surgery as a goal to get what you want, a healthier, better you!!
  • mainsqueen
    mainsqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thankyou for that I was needing it, I am back on track now its coming of slowly, and going swimming twice a week now and still going for my early morning walks, eating wise I am trying harder not to make the wrong choices fingers crossed I can do this.
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've gone through surgery. The month before surgery they asked me to get on a liquid diet. I could not do it. I did the liquid diet the whole day and had dinner as i would normally do. I still lost 30 lbs. The point is make a plan, try to stick to the plan, and don't try to be perfect. If there's a mistake, so be it, but stick to it close. If it's not the full 10% it's still better than nothing! Be kind to yourself. We are our own worse enemy sometimes.