I gained 10lbs!

Options
I started my bulking journey at the end of March. Just over 5 months later and I've finally gained 10lbs which what was my initial goal. A lot of you awesome ladies had said I may find that I need to keep bulking even at that point. I think I do but of course those doubts creep in. I am 5'2" and started at 98 lbs. now I'm 108lbs and no one can actually tell I've gained 10lbs. But I did have to buy all new work pants (I went up a size from a 00 to a 0 haha). But my husband and I can both see the new muscle that has formed even if most people don't necessarily see it. Of course I'm gaining fat too so it's not as prominent. I should say that when I started I wasn't super lean even at 98lbs. My extra fat sat on my hips and butt. Now that I've gained I have a less flat stomach though it can still pass as flat but i know it's got more fat, a little more fat on my tricep area, and more fat on my legs. Lucky me I was also blessed with great genetics that gives me some cellulite even when I was 100lbs. I've read even losing fat doesn't always fully get rid of it. I'm hoping building muscle will help it's appearance, however.

I think I need to continue bulking for a while longer though. I feel if I cut now I would lose whatever muscle I've gained. Am I correct in this thinking? I know your body composition should change as you build muscle and I haven't gained significant amounts yet so I feel mine hasn't changed a whole lot in these 5 months. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance either way. Thanks for listening and as always thanks for all the great advice!

Replies

• SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Congrats on gaining 10 lbs! Whether or not you decide to cut now is up to you. You may get to a point (if you haven't already) where your fat gains may start to surpass your lean gains, so bulking becomes counterproductive. That's what I noticed with myself at least. I think it really depends on your BF%. If you continue to eat enough protein (I would say at least 1.2 g/lb), you continue to lift, and you don't do a severe calorie deficit you won't lose the muscle you've gained (I mean maybe a little bit but not much). It really is up to you if you want to keep bulking or do a cut. It does depend on your BF% and what BF% range you're comfortable fluctuating in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WOOT WOOT!!! WINNING!!!

I"d say push it for as long as you can with in reason- I made it to 15 and called it quits- but I'm significantly bigger than you (I ended around 180) so- for me getting back to 160 was the first step- now I'm trying to cut AGAIN. to hit lower so my next bulk won't be so hard. :)

It totally depends on what you want- and how you feel- we are rolling into winter- might be a perfect time to drop the surplus and just do an uber slow gain- and put on maybe 7 more pounds in the next 3-4 months through winter. :D

either way still a big success!!!
  • rf1583
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think you make a good point Jo in that winter is coming so why not continue a little longer? I am going on vacation in November though so it might suck having that extra weight on but if I slow it down it should be fine. I'm thinking I'm with you and another 5lbs might be all I can handle! But I'm going to push on and if I could get 5-7 more pounds I would be happy to then do my cut! We'll see. In the meantime I will keep up the eating!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    10 lb is great! Congrats.

I'd say, you already bought the bigger pants - fill them up before you decide to cut :laugh: Being in a position to add it slowly over the winter is a great place to be. And don't worry about losing what you've gained, as long as you keep on top of the protein, keep lifting and keep your deficit small (when the time comes), I'm sure you'll keep most of it :smile:
  • rf1583
    Options
    Well I think I decided to do a short cut until my vacation in November. I think I've reached the breaking point where mentally I just can't handle anymore weight! I think if it weren't for vacation I would push through maybe but I would like to try and slim out just a little before we go. I will start the bulk back up in November and go til spring before cutting in summer. I so appreciate your guys' advice because I wouldn't have been able to push this long if it weren't for you!