Am I doing it right if I'm not sore the next day??

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
Subject pretty much says it all...
I have been doing this for 5 weeks now and I am not really sore the day after I lift. I am doing the 3 exercises only + abs and stretching after.

Thanks in advance to you ladies with wisdom!

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you are progressing with adding weights as the program dictates, getting full range of motion on each lift, and not feeling sore afterwards - that doesn't mean you're doing it wrong! I only feel soreness when I've taken a longer than usual amount of time off between days of lifting - like when I took a week off for vacation and then was back at the gym after that... I was sore the next day.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I would say you are fine, as long as you are progressing.

I am hardly ever sore any more, your body gets used to it. I still managed to increase my squat from the empty bar to 180 lbs in six months. That's how I gage the effectiveness rather than how sore I am.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Only thing I had DOMS from the first time was deadlifts. Other than that, the only time I'm sore is when I incorporate cardio into my routine.

I'd say you're good. :)
  • symba1130
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am progressing on everything. Squats started at 45lbs and today I did 85lbs...but, I am having to stop on squats for a while, I think I have injured my right knee.
    I did manage to DL 145 today, I felt pretty bad *kitten* about that one!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was sore when I first started. And, yesterday after taking a week off and lifting again this past Sunday.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    145 deadlift . . . you're DEFINTELY doing it right :drinker: congratulations. that seriously is bad-*kitten* . . . big-girl everything.

i don't get sore either, unless it's some muscle that's never been called on before. from what i read, doms is like chicken pox. your body kind of inoculates itself against the effect at the same time as it's recovering from that first attack. my first introduction to squats had me hobbling for almost a week. but since then i'm finding what i have to watch for is tightness, because these days i can develop quads like rocks without even thinking about it, and then the extra pressure from the tendons being too tight makes my kneecaps go nuts.

hope your injury heals quickly.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who isn't getting sore -- my friend who is helping me with form always seems a tiny bit disappointed when I say I feel fine. :)
  • symba1130
    Options
    Back to report that I am a bit sore today for really the first time. Its in my shoulders and inner thigh and I think it has to do with the deadlift. Either way, I am super happy to be 5 weeks into this and looking forward to see what kind of progress I have made by 12 weeks.
    I will be checking bf% and taking another picture to compare to my 1st day. I have gone down on the scale about 2.5lbs, but I am not currently using that as my progress marker.

And my other goal is to be able to squat 100 or more by my birthday at the end of November. Hoping my knee heals quickly so I can accomplish this. I need to add 15lbs to my current load to make this happen.