New to GF - challenging!

Options
majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
I used to think GF was a fad. Till I got curious enough to read more about it. Realized I suffered from a lot of the symptoms. Stopped eating gluten for a few weeks and WOW! what a difference! .. so .. now I know.. great.. I just cut out a huge chunk of my usual diet!!!

The rest of my family still eats gluten though. I have switched to things like, using lettuce instead of bread for my hamburgers and lettuce for my shell for tacos.

I went looking for a good Recipe book that shows calories and is family friendly. I still haven't found one :/

Eating out at lunch is also a challenge unless you just want to eat salads. Even then they often have gluten in it.

I'm getting frustrated fast :(

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    There are apps for your phone that show you GF restaurant options - a friend of mine swears by hers - sorry I don't know the name of the one she uses, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. You get used to carrying around little tiny Tupper containers of Tamari, salad dressings, balsamic vinegars, and your favorite spices (I like anything by Epicure Selections - all GF and nut free - http://www.epicureselections.com/en/products ). That way no matter where you are you can ask for naked grilled meat or fish/shellfish (ask them to use freshly cleaned utensils and wipe down the griddle/grill before preparing your food - tell them you have a SERIOUS allergy, if they don't 'get' gluten free) stir fried veggies in plain fat (butter or olive oil) and or a salad with NO dressing or croutons. Ask the kitchen to forgo all spice blends - only plain salt & freshly ground pepper (not pre-ground). Then technically you can eat almost anywhere. You can also check a privately run or chain restaurant's website for more information and choices. It gets easier as you get a list of places you know are safe. Usually omelettes are safe (without preshredded cheese, hashbrowns, or toast) just ask for hot sauce instead of ketchup if you use that kind of thing and get sliced tomatoes on the side or fresh fruit on the side.

There you go... feel better now?
  • shuffy09
    shuffy09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey there I am new too!! I found this awesome website for eating out: http://www.happycow.net/

It has options for those who are vegetarian, vegan and gluten free!!! It is user based so it has reviews and restaurants are added based on the users. Hope this helps!
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    you know the rice wafer cracker things? I highly recommend them for lunches! Kids love them too. also try things like soups rice salads and stirfrys. home made chips ( thinly sliced potatos caked with mixed herbs sprinkled on them) and deffinitly check out rawtarian recipes too there amaze <3 ecspecially the raw caramel slice completely gluten and dairy free I promise xx
  • Snugglebunny217
    Options
    Find Me Gluten Free is the name of the app I use to find restaurants with Gluten Free options on them. Eventually I learned my area better and knew which ones were real and which ones gave me the option of the house salad. But it's a godsend for traveling.

There are kinds of food that have naturally-gluten free traditional cuisine, and you might want to check them out. A lot of Indian and Mexican food, as well as a lot of Asian dishes are naturally gluten free (although with Asian you might have to prepare at home with Tamari soy sauce instead of "modern" soy sauce that they add wheat to).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Usually omelettes are safe

Just found out IHOP adds pancake batter to their omelettes and scrambled eggs!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52660.html
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Usually omelettes are safe

Just found out IHOP adds pancake batter to their omelettes and scrambled eggs!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52660.html

Yeah, just read that too!! Then again I've never been to an IHOP - but Denny's is safe - no batter in theirs. And pretty well any non-chain restaurant can do you up an omelette properly... without flour.
    If you are getting Mexican somewhere - make sure it's the real thing because any place that uses pre-shredded cheese in a recipe is feeding you flour (it keeps the cheese shreds from sticking together before use). Hopefully you are getting the real queso, lol.
  • CuriousCarrotTop
    Options
    Grocery stores are beginning to have more and more gfree options stocked, often with their own area. Even if the grocery stores in your area don't have a designated gfree section yet, you can keep your eye out for gfree things scattered throughout the store.

A few of my personal favorites are Freschetta's gluten free pizzas, Daiya's pizzas (these of course are a little higher in calories, but are great if you're just dying for a slice or are having a cheat day). I also like to substitute gfree english muffins for bread and bagels (if you can find a variety, I recommend trying out a few different brands). There are a bunch of gfree noodle options too, so many that I can't list all of my favorites!

If you cook or bake, there are many books with recipes. It takes some getting used to since you often will be using more than one type of flour (rice, potato, coconut, all sorts) and a few unfamiliar ingredients, but once you get the hang of it those cookbooks can be lifesavers! If you'd like specific recommendations let me know. I'd also be willing to share my favorite recipe for a wheat flour alternative that you can use in any recipe :)

Hope this helps and best of luck!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    New to GF. I have been diagnosed as lactose intolerant for years and my whole family has always had 'tummy troubles'. Some admit to it, others make excuses. My nephew was just diagnosed celiac and listening to him, things sounded familiar.

Have been eating GF for a month, cooking at home and feeling much better. However.....

Last night (holidays) I ate out and really just forgot. I asked about cheese because of long habit. They had GF identified on the menu but in dull lighting, I didn't notice. Just a little gluten slipped in to my appetizer. Figured I had been eating it for years, so no biggie.

WRONG!!! So, how long before I feel better? And, I can take Lactaid pills for a little cheese or milk in a restaurant, is there such a product for gluten intolerance? And, is it just a matter of trial and error as to how sensitive one is to cross contamination, or, do all of us suffer? Is there hope of becoming cheese and milk tolerant if I get GF under control?

Thanks
  • PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Every time I eat gluten, I get knocked back to square 1, and have to wait a couple weeks to feel better. Everyone's different though.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Every time I eat gluten, I get knocked back to square 1, and have to wait a couple weeks to feel better. Everyone's different though.

Thanks for the response. I figured everyone is different and I am better than I was immediate the next day. First time I was so sick, I felt dizzy. Better now that I am back on the straight and narrow.

It is such a drag to avoid milk and gluten. I am such a difficult guest now and it is difficult to eat out at all. But such is life.
  • digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. It does get easier though.

A few tricks I use is to always have a supply of nuts in my purse. If I get caught out of the house for longer than I thought, or at a location I can't eat at, I just tuck in to my nuts. I have learned that it is much harder being sick than to have strategies to avoid gluten. For me, I do not get any outword indications that I have ingested gluten. My villi are damaged. This makes it really hard because I have to be 100% sure that there is no gluten in anything I put in my mouth.

At first I was concerned about being a pain as a guest as well. I would see their faces twist in confusion about what to feed me. They were determined that they could feed me. I put an end to that and now take care of my own food needs when I am a guest. I can't make them responsible for whether I get sick or not. It is also so stressful for them. I just assure them that it is my disease and I will take care of it. They are actually quite relieved.

Yes, it is difficult but it is so worth it. For me, it was so much harder having no answers about what was causing me to be sick than it is to manage my disease.

It will get much easier and you have lots of support from people who are where you are.