Just getting started - how to improve my squat form?

Options
threnjen
threnjen Posts: 687 Member
I am just getting started and haven't even done the program yet. Last week I joined a gym to get access to the barbell equipment. I hired a trainer, specifically requesting a person who would teach me free weights and heavy lifting with the barbell. I've never had any access to this equipment before so I really wanted someone to help me learn and my trainer says she specializes in this kind of work.

She wasn't happy with my squat form, which is fine of course. I've only ever worked with dumbbells and I often hold them in front of me or at my shoulders, so it's a different weight distribution than the bar at my back. With dumbbells I can squat very low. When I tried to squat with the bar, I kept losing my balance! It was so embarrassing. I couldn't do it until she put a bench behind me and told me to squat and tap my butt, and basically I had to sit lightly every time because my balance was all off.

What are some ways that other people have transitioned to squatting with the bar, and just generally learning proper form? She wants me to squat further back but I also have the weight at my back instead of my front, so it's very disconcerting. I felt like I did a terrible job in our first session :(

Replies

• threnjen
    Options
    Well now that I posted this I read the FAQ. I see the standard recommendation is to "squat to a box". So I'll just find some good object to practice on to squat to.

I think I'm just frustrated to find that my squat is insufficient for this kind of work. It took me a long time to squat low and I hate that it's apparently been improper form :(
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You are starting something new, and that's awesome in itself. Like anything, you will get better the more you do it. Practice with body weight and a box or bench. Many on here have used goblet squats to help them as well. there are all kinds of things you can do to help you get lower while still maintaining your center of gravity with a barbell on your back. Foot placement, toes turned slightly out or straight, hip molbility exercises, barbel placement on your back.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice. Keep at it and you will get it.
  • rystraum
    rystraum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm following Stronglifts 5x5 too. I'm less than a year at it (with a couple of months in between) so I'm pretty much starting again.

The "So You Think You Can Squat" series (this is the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao) really help me out when I was still starting. In your case, your balance would be helped by pushing out to the outside of your feet instead of just bringing the weight up (this is at 2:17 in the 2nd part of the series).

Just keep at it, and always try to get into the proper form every time. You may not do so well at the start, and that's okay.
    Just practice deliberately and consistently.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yes to goblet squats. It's so much easier to concentrate on your form when you're holding the weight at your chest. I am up to 45 lbs goblet squat now and as soon as my ankle heals up, I am moving onto learn pistol squats. :smokin:
  • lizafava2
    Options
    The great thing about SL 5x5 is that you gets LOTS of practice with squats, lol. I bet after a couple weeks of squatting to a sit that you'll be fine. At first I watched a ton of youtube videos and that helped me the most. Watching people do it wrong at the gym was good too - mentally correcting their form helped me correct my own. Experiment with different stance widths and foot angles. Its okay to have a wider stance if that helps you with balance and keeping your feet flat/weight in your heels. Some people have better balance with the bar either high or low.

I used to warm up with all different kinds of air squats to get my balance settled before weighted squats. So, some sumo squats and squats with my arms in different positions. Now I warm up with some 45 pound squats front, overhead, high and low back. I find it very grounding/balancing. :D
  • threnjen
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for all the feedback/ideas/general encouragement! I'm going to check out the ideas and get to practicing!

I hate not being good at something right out of the gate, I'm always expecting to just magically be amazing at stuff lol...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Box squats are a great way to work on form. If you're losing your balance, you might try using a lighter bar like a long dowel or a shower curtain tension rod. Starting with the olympic bar can be too much weight.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I started with 20lbs worth of goblet squats and hung on to that style until I could do the bar. No worries on progression...I didn't get to the bar for the first 5 weeks or so of 5x5!

Kind of hijacking with another squat question...

I've been going fairly far below parallel on my squats, yet they feel more difficult if I go just below. What gives? Is this wrong? I have noticed when I go real low my left knee pops but there's no pain...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I've been going fairly far below parallel on my squats, yet they feel more difficult if I go just below. What gives?

same. i'm pretty sure there's a tipping point, where really in the very bottom few inches i'm just letting gravity do it for me. at parallel and just below, i have to use my own legs to stop myself. if i go really low, just the mechanics of my own body do it for me.
  • threnjen
    Options
    Been working on my goblet squats and not squatting AS low since she thought that was interfering with my form.

With my trainer today, I learned to bench press (amongst other weight tasks). I could only do a 30lb bar. I'm such a weakling! I'll get there though and most importantly I had a great time and got an awesome workout.
  • threnjen
    Options
    I learned something pretty amazing to improve my squat form, which is squatting FACING a wall. Stand with your toes almost touching the wall and do the squats without allowing your knees or your face to touch the wall. My biggest form problem was leaning forward, so I improved my form a lot practicing this way.

Today was my first time back under the squat rack with my trainer and I kicked butt!!! :D She was really happy with my form improvement!