First hand rip

Options
Dear god, I hate TTB.

Anyway, what can I do to speed the healing of or protect from infection the giant gash on my hand where I cut away the flap of skin (so it didn't catch on anything?)

Replies

• ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You definitely did the right thing to trim the excess skin off of your hand. The first thing you should always do is wash your hands with cold water and soap after any rips. Then apply Neosporin and a bandaid for the next 12 hours or so to prevent infection. After that, your new best friend is Aquaphor. Apply it liberally all the time as that will help speed the healing process and help to prevent re-rips. You shouldn't need a bandaid after the first day or so as the exposure to air will help it heal faster.

Are your callouses raised? If so, you should invest in a callous shaver. It's the raised portion that causes tears, so if you keep them nice and smooth, they shouldn't tear as much.

It will all come with time! I still rip during high volume TTB and PU but it's definitely less than it used to be.

Good luck!
  • kls1628
    kls1628 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm such a weiney that I will stop before I rip unless in a competition. I've discovered that Rogue makes a great grip with goat tape that has really helped my hands during TTB and kipping pull-ups.

Otherwise, ashlando's advice is spot on.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't cut off the flap, personally. I find it heals better when the flap acts as a natural bandaid. I clean well, apply neosporin, and a bandaid mostly as a reminder not to plunge my hands into water when I'm bathing my daughter, etc. :-) As my grip has strengthened, I rip less often, but I always come off the bar before I rip--when I start the feel the friction. haha
  • kaaaaylee
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely have a callus shaver in my amazon shopping cart, but this is an actual rip. It's red and ugly. Can post a pic if I'm not explaining it well.

I basically followed most of the steps mentioned, I just react badly to neosporin so I skipped that. I just want to lift tomorrow morning!
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can still lift tomorrow. Just wrap your hand up really well with bandaids and goat tape or athletic tape.

Sub out any bar work for a day or two and you'll be fine!
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Agreed with ashlando! I wrap well, sometimes wear padded lifting gloves if the rip is in a particularly bad place and lift away. If we have pullups/TTB back-to-back after a rip, I sub out--so I'll do ring rows or sometimes strict pullups with a band (which doesn't cause the same friction) if I need to. :-)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I always use gloves for TTB to help me with grip but try not to for pull ups to try & harden my hands
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I find the best way to speed the recovery of a torn callous is to put a HOT tea bag on it. Like, brew a cup of tea and take the tea bag from the boiling hot water, squeeze out the excess liquid and do your best to tolerate dabbing the tea bag straight on the open wound (after trimming the skin flap). It stings like nothing I can express, but it really helps to seal up the wound and I find I can generally go back to pull-ups/TTB within a day or two.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use new-skin starting about 24 hours after the tear (NOT right away because it'll sting bad! And could inhibit healing). I can't really do bar work or really grip intensive stuff the day after a rip, but usually after 36-48 hours it's ok, just a bit tender. I find I sometimes need to trim off a little bit more with a cuticle nipper after a day or two just so there aren't loose pieces that could get caught and pulled open.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had my first hand rip last night and it hurts like hell!! I ripped off the flap of skin and almost screamed haha. I thought my hands were tough enough but not tough enough for Filthy 50 it seems..
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use a pumice stone on my hands everytime I shower, it helps keep calluses smaller so they have a less likelihood to rip, though rips still happen.

Blister Bandaids by "Bandaid" are THE BEST!! They are a little pricy but they work. I usually put them on at night after I'm done with dinner and dishes, make sure your hands are completely dry, leave on overnight. In the morning when I get out of the shower I will put "new skin" the liquid bandaid stuff on for during the day. This combination works great for me. I tore the crap out of my hands (6 rips total) about 4 days before a competition, did what I suggested above and my hands were good as new on competition day!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I find the best way to speed the recovery of a torn callous is to put a HOT tea bag on it. Like, brew a cup of tea and take the tea bag from the boiling hot water, squeeze out the excess liquid and do your best to tolerate dabbing the tea bag straight on the open wound (after trimming the skin flap). It stings like nothing I can express, but it really helps to seal up the wound and I find I can generally go back to pull-ups/TTB within a day or two.

Wow, I have never heard this before. I love tea so I will give this a shot the next time I rip. Since today's WOD includes TTB, it may just be tonight!!