FitBit

Options
cherylk
cherylk Posts: 9 Member
Anyone have a Fitbit and linked to MFP?
I cant seem to figure out how to log my exercise with fitness bands. Resistance Bands...can anyone help?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a Fitbit and linked to MFP?
    I cant seem to figure out how to log my exercise with fitness bands. Resistance Bands...can anyone help?

here's my understanding. Fitbit comes up with an estimate of calories burned based on your stats, steps and activity level (step rate). It makes an adjustment on MFP based on the amount that estimate is over your activity level (Sedentary, lightly active, etc.) that MFP is expecting you to burn every day.

When you do something specific, you can override the number of calories Fitbit calculates *for that time period* by entering it in MFP and giving the start time and duration. Fitbit then adjusts the caloric adjustment based on this.

For instance, when I golf and ride in a cart, the Fitbit jostles and gives me lots of steps for that time period, usually resulting in a very high calorie adjustment. When I tell it I was golfing and riding for a 4 hour period, and burned 800 calories, it changes the calories burned for that time period to the number I enter for that time period, resulting in a lower overall adjustment for the entire day.

In your case, if you decide that your exercise band work burned 300 calories starting at 1:15pm and lasted 30 minutes, then you enter that into MFP and where the Fitbit shows you as almost stationary during that time period, it would substitute 300 calories for that time period instead of the lower number it currently carries. This should increase your overall Fitbit adjustment, but not buy the full 300, because you are burning some calories just standing there, and Fitbit takes this into account.

I have seen this work in my exercise diary, but am not completely sure that I fully understand it. Look at your adjustment before and after you enter exercise and see if it makes sense.

If I have it wrong, please let me know, as I want to understand this.

Rob
  • cherylk
    Options
    okay, thank you so much
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There's a fitbit group on MFP and they are VERY helpful in explaining how it all works, how it links to MFP, what to add, what not to add, etc.
  • cherylk
    Options
    SWEET, Thanks!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump