recover time after surgery?

Options
f66bs
f66bs Posts: 15 Member
Hello all! I am just in the early stages of the process. I know everyone is different but I wanted to know how long did you take off work after surgery? I go next week to meet with dr and am excited to finally start the process. I love coming to this group and reading everyone's experiences!

Thank you!

Replies

• acturney
    Options
    I had my surgery a week ago on 9/03 and I went back to work today. Got a little tired in the afternoon, but not too bad. I'm sure I will be in bed early though, lol.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work part-time, but on my feet, on Monday. I was still sore on Monday, mostly muscle pain on my right side. I was a mess with nausea until Saturday so couldn't have gone back before then. I was only teaching one summer class so just had to go in for two mornings a week, but I also am a single mom so was back to driving my kids everywhere, making dinner, etc. In an ideal world, I would take a week off and then go back to work part-time for the next week and then return to life as normal at 2 weeks.
  • f66bs
    f66bs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I work at a call center so I sit but also didn't want to take too much time off if possible but also know a lot of people experience different side effects so who knows how I would feel.
    But good to know a week is average!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Out of hospital friday back at work Monday but I am self employed and completely in control of my day and mostly at desk. I was sore and exhausted but I would have been miserable at home.
  • IndigoGirl26
    Options
    I had surgery on a Monday and was out that week and the following week, though I did a little work from home. I needed all that time because I had a lot of pain.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Wed 7/23/14, and was back to work Monday 8/11/14. I could have done back sooner but I didn't want to rush it too much (and I enjoyed being off in the summer!)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was off 2 weeks. My recovery was easy and I could have gone back sooner, but wanted the time to be sure I knew how to handle 6 small meals a day, 4 of those at work, and all the water while getting my job done. Just needed some prep and planning. Glad I took it all and came back to work prepared for the new lifestyle and my job.

Pat
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I planned for 2 weeks off but was ready to go back after 1 week.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was ready after 2 weeks, but was not released to return until after 3 weeks.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done on a Wednesday and was back at work on Monday. Luckily had no issues with nausea and had very little pain. I'm was a Nanny to a 2-year old and a 5-year old and just asked the boys to be careful with me and I couldn't lift them for a couple of weeks. I also had the ability to nap for a while in the afternoon when the youngest did.

In a regular job I think 2-weeks off is a good length of time and if cleared you could always go back sooner. Like you already know, everyone has a slightly different recovery length post-op. Better to have the time off and not take it than to go back too soon and have to take more.

Good luck to you at your appointment.

Karen
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was off work for 2 weeks. I could have gone back sooner, but do the nature of my job, I took the full two weeks off. At my post op appt. 1.5 weeks after the surgery, my doctor told me there was nothing that could be ripped, torn, or messed up and I was clear to resume all physical activities. He went on to say I could lift weights, do 100 sit-ups (although he said i would be sore afterwards and should start off with just a few), or have sex. Nothing was off limits as long as I tolerated it.
  • clcesari
    Options
    I had sleeve on Wed and attempted to go back to work on Monday. I woke up way to nauseous. I went back the next day and it made all the difference in the world. I still was, and am (7 weeks later) pretty exhausted. But, you just get used to it I suppose.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve Friday 9/12/2014 and walked 2 miles that day altogether after surgery. I got to go home the next day. I'm only a little sore. I have only been taking pain meds here and there. I have been doing normal everyday tasks I did before surgery. I however am a stay at home mom.