how do you like, hard? heavey? mellow? stoner or classic.

Options
m preference is heavy, then stoner and some classic :)

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Honestly, all these attempts to subdivide metal/hard rock into 100 subgenres confuse me.

I have NO clue what the difference is between "power metal", "technical metal", "sludge metal", "progressive metal", etc etc etc etc. I just know who I like and who I don't so much.

I don't like metal/hard rock with the "cookie monster" vocals or vocals that are mashed superfar back in the mix. If I like a band musically but can't stand the vocals, I'm usually out.

I do like a fair amount of AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, Rush (I realize Geddy's voice is an acquired taste for sure but I seem to have acquired it...), Barren Cross, Deliverance, Metallica to name a few...in recent years I've started to appreciate SOME grunge (AIC, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Soundgarden)
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like my metal like my food:

1. Good
    2. Heavy
    3. Fast
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Honestly, all these attempts to subdivide metal/hard rock into 100 subgenres confuse me.

I have NO clue what the difference is between "power metal", "technical metal", "sludge metal", "progressive metal", etc etc etc etc. I just know who I like and who I don't so much.

I don't like metal/hard rock with the "cookie monster" vocals or vocals that are mashed superfar back in the mix. If I like a band musically but can't stand the vocals, I'm usually out.

I do like a fair amount of AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, Rush (I realize Geddy's voice is an acquired taste for sure but I seem to have acquired it...), Barren Cross, Deliverance, Metallica to name a few...in recent years I've started to appreciate SOME grunge (AIC, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney, Soundgarden)

yea nice nice, yea im not too into the sub genre thing too that's why i kept it light on the subject hehe. some good bands in there im a big fan of sabbath, if your interested there are a few bands (with way better production) of recent years that are like black sabbath.. try WoFat... they are rad. AC/DC rock i saw them when i was like 15 probably too young to appreciate it full as you know i couldn't even have a beer and all that haha.

I like my metal like my food:

1. Good
    2. Heavy
    3. Fast

[\quote]

This is the exact same as me. its a real good influence on me to push that little bit extra or run that little bit faster love it..

excellent.
  • catarinadev
    catarinadev Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a like what I like person, but the subdivisions are useful sometimes. For example- if a band is described as power metal then there's very little chance I'll like them... I also quite enjoy the sub-divisions in terms of placing bands, their origin and sound in context of the evolution of metal (really enjoy Sam Dunn's work on this). However- the sub-sub-sub divisions get quite ridiculous. My favourite example of this is folk humppa black metal.

Big fan of the 'cookie monster' type vocals. Tend to gravitate towards the extreme side of metal, in whatever incarnation that comes in.

Have a big soft spot for grunge though- it's the first music I listened that was 'mine' and not chosen my parents or friends. Particularly Alice in Chains.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Gun to my head I'd say doom is my favorite sub-genre. And if we needed to go deeper I'd say probably funeral, gothic, or stoner. But I listen to a little from almost every sub-genre. Power and heavy/speed metal are very close behind doom, though.