4 Months Out, total calories per day?

Options
dcc56
dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
I had my follow up appointment with my Bariatric Clinic yesterday. Surprising to me, no changes are needed to my Goal settings on MFP. The goal for me according to my clinic is 700-800 total calories per day. Apparently I won't get to 1000 until a year after surgery. They are telling me that each of the three meals per day are to be a total serving size of 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup. This seems too little to me....comments?

Replies

• platinum3karat
    platinum3karat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5 months out and my calorie goal on MFP is 1200 a day; however I never reach that goal because of the little food that i can intake. My focus is to get my protein in and to get my liquids in as well. I barely eat the 1/3 or 1/2 cup food, I get full so fast and I try to munch on it throughout the course of the day to make sure I am getting food in. I wouldn't worry about it so much if I were you. Just make sure you are taking your vitamins and getting your protein in and fluids and you will be fine.

I've read people say they had the surgery years ago and still can't eat a full sandwich or burger or meal. That is why protein is so important and vitamin intake.

Hope that helps.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If that is what your MD says, then you better do it. We all get different instructions from our MDs. My daily goal is higher than yours at 3 months post-op, but what I've been instructed to do doesn't matter when it comes to what you should do!

:)
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It seems that there is a lot of variation in different programs. I am six months postop and my calorie goal is 850 per day. This is where my nutritionist wants me to stay at this point in order to maximize my loss during the first year. She did say that I will be slowly moved up to 1200 calories per day. I am able to take in more than 1/2 cup at a time but usually stay within my calorie and protein goals.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had my follow up appointment with my Bariatric Clinic yesterday. Surprising to me, no changes are needed to my Goal settings on MFP. The goal for me according to my clinic is 700-800 total calories per day. Apparently I won't get to 1000 until a year after surgery. They are telling me that each of the three meals per day are to be a total serving size of 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup. This seems too little to me....comments?
    I am at maintenance at 1350 calories a day, more if I exercise. I am at 150 lbs at 5'5". I stayed under 950 calories for 9 months to lose 104 lbs. I lost best at 850. I would usually stall if I ate at 950. It is all based on your metatbolism, activity and maintaining a deficit. I only lost 1 lb in May because I was eating at 950-1000 per day. How far out are you? Have you hit your first stall? Most people eating at 800 are actually gonna get it a little more due to measuring discrepancies and food variability which means they are likely getting in 1000 anyway. Each lb of fat is 2800 calories you have to be in deficit in order to lose. My BMR is 1350 so eating at 1000 is very close and it takes me ages to lose.