Just diagnosed with Hashimoto's

Options
Hi Everyone! I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's today. Apparently I am asymptomatic and had no idea until my physical appt last week (it had been over 15 years since my last one). My initial blood work showed my TSH level was really low at .006. Upon further testing my T4 and T3 levels were normal but my antibodies was high at 1.7. I have to wait for my insurance to approve seeing an Endocrinologist. I have been overweight all my life and finally starting taking care of me by making lifestyle changes including being a lot more active and watching what I eat. I have lost almost 45 lbs in the last year which I am proud of but still have about 60 more to go. I am also borderline Type 2 Diabetic. Other than my Vitamin D levels being extremely low all the other results came back good. I am feeling kind of overwhelmed with my diagnosis and what the next steps will be...and feedback/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day everyone :-)

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi FJ,

I too was just recently diagnosed and am still trying to learn about what to do next so I do not have any information for you. I just wanted you to know that you have my support.

My TSH is higher than average, not low and my antibodies are on a different scale. My TPOab were elevated. I see an endocrinologist who is approaching this with wait and see and only tests TSH and T4. My next appointment with him in in December but I am seeking a second opinion in December.

You will find that there are different approaches to treating this some recommend medication, iodine supplementation, dietary change while others do not. I tried Synthroid and Armour in the past for other issues before this diagnosis and all I did was gain 30 lbs within 6 weeks on each.

What has your doctor suggested for you? Are you supplementing your Vitamin D?

BTW: Congrats on the 45lb weight loss. That is awesome!!! Keep doing what is working for you with that.
  • froggiejen
    froggiejen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Toadqueen

Thank you so much for your reply and your support. :-) You've got my support too :-)

The referral has been approved thru my insurance to see an Endocrinologist and I have my appt on 10/1. My regular Dr has me taking 5000 iu of Vitamin D daily which I started last week....and will retest my bloodwork at the end of November.

I swear since my diagnosis I have been driving myself crazy...I feel like I went from asymptomatic to hypercondriac...every little thing has got me worried..grrrr :-/ I am anxious to know what needs to be done and what I need to do etc.. as you can see I am not very patient...and the hurry up and then wait approach drives me nuts. I just don't want this to derail the progress that I have made and what I still need to do...especially with the borderline diabetes, my ongoing battle with my weight...and the goals I have made for myself. (I started the C25K program and am shooting to run my first 5K in March as a birthday present to myself). I do know that the accountability is on me to continue do what I need to do..overcoming the negative and excuses is part of the process..still I am a worry wart. :-/
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    FJ,

I am so glad your referral was approved. I know what you mean about patience and hypochondria. I feel I suffer from both too. My doctor said it takes a few months for the Vitamin D to show improvement. I too am taking 5000 iu daily.

My second opinion endo appointment is in November, not December (typo). I have read that she will give a thorough examination and bloodwork - fingers crossed. I do not want to take medication, but I also don't want to sit back while antibodies increase and attack my thyroid.

I am impressed about your birthday goal!! 5K is awesome. I have a co-worker who started doing them this summer with a personal trainer and her health is much improved. I am not a runner but I try to walk at least a half-hour every day and am doing some light work in the gym again finally.

Try to be patient with this. Continue with what you are doing. Luckily, labwork only takes a day for most tests so you will not have to wait too long for that if your endo requests it.

TQ