Want to start, but not sure

Options
I have read up on the SL 5x5. I want to start it horribly!! We are done with our current program next week. BUT, my husband says that it takes too long. If there are two of us starting it, how long will it take? I have a high school girl that just started lifting 3 weeks ago, and I would love to see where this takes her. Just unsure of the time it will take. Living in the middle of nowhere, it kind of makes it hard when she lives 20 miles away and is a senior in high school. Would love some info from anyone who has been on the program:) Very fascinated with it!

Replies

• Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you already know how to do the lifts (squat, bench, OHP, deadlift, & barbell row), the program doesn't take long at all. I've been lifting on and off for years, but my sister and I have been doing 5x5 for the last 2 weeks, and it takes maybe a half hour, even with warm-up sets. It will take more time as the weights get heavier, because you will probably need more rest time between sets.

You should do it! The program starts off pretty light for beginners, and gives you plenty of time to figure out what you're doing. There are android and iPhone apps to help you keep track of workouts, and the website has lots of tips and spreadsheets.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When first starting, it only took about half an hour. Now for me the weights are heavier and i will have the full 3 min or 5 min rest between lift it will take an hour. But by then you can always go to 3x5 to cut more time if need be. Do it you will love it!
  • berlys
    Options
    Great!! Thank you both for your advice!! We will definitely start it now that I know it won't take a ton of time. Have been looking forward to it since I found it 3 weeks ago!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I'm four weeks in and loving it. My sessions take between 45 minutes and an hour. But! I had never done any of these exercises before -- had only used weight machines -- so I think I'm taking longer because I'm trying to learn correct form. I'm also working with a friend and tend to ask a lot of questions. :)

It's worth every minute!

C.
  • berlys
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you:)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i found it going fast to begin with as well. now it takes longer, but that's partly because to my own astonishment i turn out to be kind of a gym rat. i hang out at the rec centre and take my time because i like being there.

the times when i go in there just intending to take care of business for some reason, i can still get it all done by showing up 45 minutes before they close down. i'm not lifting anything 'heavy' at all, in absolute terms. but i'm lifting pretty heavy for where my body is at ;-) so my breaks tend to be on the longer side, too.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    I often lift with my partner. Together, it takes us about 1 and a half hours. We do take full 3 minute rests - sometimes more when we have to argue about the music or discipline the kids for swinging on the squat rack :D
  • amygarcia0212
    amygarcia0212 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like Liz, I lift with a partner. It takes us between 45-min to just over 1-hr to lift (we're 4 weeks into the program). We just load/deload the bar so he can lift while I 'rest' and vice versa. It works well for us!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    As others have said, it goes by pretty quickly in the beginning but then takes usually an hour give or take once the weight gets up there. Need more time to warm up and rest in between working sets. Working in with a partner shouldn't add time if one works while the other rests.

Does he think it would take much longer than an hour or does he think an hour is too long? If it's the latter, I don't know of many lifting programs that last less than an hour. Strong Lifts is a simple program and, therefore, is one of the shorter ones I've seen.