Gluten free for about a month and then...

majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
Anyone else have one of these moments?

I ate a fiber one bar late at night. I used to do this often when my dogs would wake me up to go pee.

By morning I was in the bathroom ill again and I couldn't figure out why I was so sick! I had really thought I had FINALLY found the root to why I would get so sick like that.. .. Then I realized I had a mid-night snack.. and that it was NOT gluten free!!!

If I ever had a doubt that this was the right choice for me... I don't anymore!!

Replies

• PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    This happens to me constantly...

I love chinese food, but after awhile it was making me sick... I had gone gluten free for months, and all I ordered were stir-fried chicken and vegetables (Where's the wheat gluten in that?) - but that's when I did some research and found soy sauce has gluten in it. The worst thing about it is that I wasn't always sensitive to gluten, so I'm not sure what foods I ate in the past are safe anymore. It really sucks!
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Gluten is in pretty much everything pre-packaged these days unless its clearly marked GF. I had to read the labels of my entire kitchen's contents and throw out anything that had to avoid making this exact mistake. Now, I've learned to keep whole foods for those snack time moments (plain nuts, fruit etc) because GF versions of my fav items seem to be loaded with sugar.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Depending on where it is made, the exact same product that uses a "modified food starch" may use wheat, rice or other starch. They change ingredients based on regional availability. Something that you are eating without any issues can suddenly make you ill. If it is a processed food and it does not say GF I would not take a chance. Like @krmalexander, we have gone over to more whole food snacks and treats I make myself so I know what is in them.