Project BikeCave

Options

Replies

• indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like it, but £79.20?....that brings out the Yorkshire in me.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I like it, but £79.20?....that brings out the Yorkshire in me.

yeah, me too a little - but considering how much I've saved doing the wiring, plastering and laying the flooring myself, not to mention building the cabinetry that's going in there, I can at least splurge a little on something important - like the thing that's holding £3.5k of bike off the ground... :laugh:
  • indeterminate
    indeterminate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It also looks very cool.And space-saving. Still... It would hurt :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    three walls now with the first skim of finishing plaster on there... finally getting the hang of plastering again, though I'm still not 100% convinced I can do a good enough job on the "main wall". Pretty much paralysed by indicision at the moment - which is NOT GOOD as the entire contents of that very loaded little room are currently distributed all over the rest of the house and it's driving me NUTS!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - finally went for it. Out yesterday to the DIY shed, filled the boot of the Audi with sacks of Plaster, and today, decided to "bash on" and start the actual "Bike Wall"

As I was loading the third sack of plaster into the boot of the car yesterday a thought struck me. Each of these sacks weighed 25kg, requiring proper "lifting technique" to protect your back, especially when getting it over the lip of the rear loadspace. And yet, not so long ago, I used to walk around with over 2 and a half of these sacks worth of fat under my skin. :noway: I felt much better about myself for the rest of the day after that. :glasses:

Anyhow, it's dry and reasonably warm today, so, time to get mixing.

2 hours later and a sack and a half of bonding plaster later, we've got a 8-10mm gauge of plaster on the wall which is pretty much straighter and more level than any other wall in the house other than the ones I've already re-done. The thickness varies, because, well, frankly, it's a former "council house" - cheap, not fantastically well built accomodation for people who, at the time it was built, were never actually likely to own their own place - and so the brickwork isn't exactly what I'd refer to as top flight. It's all boding well for the skim coat.

I really wish that the room was actually large enough to get a half decent photo... every shot I show on here ends up being a stitched pano / composite of half a dozen shots, just to get coverage...

15424714691_84ee7b50de_c.jpg

So - there we are - Clive, you can stop worrying about the nasty brickwork scratching my saddle and handlebar tape now.:laugh:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    My goodness - that is a lot of work you are putting into your bike cave. And more to come I'm sure with the cabinets, etc. Is it the photo editing that makes that floor look like a "sagging about to drop through the supports" thing or is it truly that bowl shaped?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Definitely the photo that's wrong...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Currently waiting on the final gauge of finishing plaster to completely and uniformly "cure" so I can get a mist-coat of finish on there... We're down to a 1 square metre patch next to the back door, which I guess is drying slowly because it's colder than the rest of the room by dint of the lower thermal insulation of the door than a 2 skin cavity brick wall... :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    okay, so the plaster finally dried overnight, and today I dragged up the old flooring, and managed to get a quick "mist coat" of emulsion over the plaster (for those of you who don't know what that is, it's a coat of water-based trade emulsion (latex paint for the septics) thinned out 50-50 with water, applied quickly to "seal" the plaster and prevent any further coats of the Emulsion getting the water "sucked out" of the paint before the finish cures. So, it doesn't really need to be a smooth "finish coat" just enough to cover everything. After this you leave it at least 4 hours or preferably overnight before applying a proper finish coat - or in my case a FIRST finish coat of matt emulsion where I can decide what and where needs any "filler" before a final coat.

It's looking better though...

15478996215_15767349b8_z.jpgP1010461.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

15475853341_b0c42c2594.jpgBikecave_mistcoat2.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

15292421127_d8b8afdeb1_z.jpgP1010462.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

15292278120_4d51afe820_z.jpgbikecave-mistcoat1.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

I think once there's a decent coat of paint on the woodwork, a finish coat on the walls and the flooring down it'll actually look like part of the house, rather than just an afterthought.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Todays update... "Skirting Board" (actually a moulded concrete base slab) is now painted - sanded, primed, and topcoated. First coat of finish emulsion applied to all 4 walls, and ceiling, then took a couple of hours out to try and find matching laminate flooring to continue the "faux granite tile" look through from the kitchen. 4 of the main "diy sheds" nothing matching, a couple lose but not quite, one colour matched but the tiles were a different shape. Was getting to the point of deciding to go for something contrasting instead, when I tried a place that sell off old "remaindered stock" - wandered in, and at the back there were 3 boxes of the exact matching stuff... boxes tatty but reasonably intact - one had an obvious scratch in the top "plank" others okay. Well - I needed 2 packs but had a quick chat with the manager and as they were all a bit scruffy, and potentially had some damage, got 3 packs for the price of two (and they were already substantially marked down from the normal new prices...)

Got home and looked - in total there are 3 planks out of 18 that are slightly marked. With the leftovers I already had, I reckon I needed maybe 10-11, so I've got a little scope for getting things right second time if need be... And, it's always handy to have a couple of spare sections - especially in a kitchen with lots of water potentially around...

Early Doors tomorrow, get another coat on the walls, out for a couple of hours for a ride hopefully, then back and get started on laying the flooring I reckon.

No photo's as basically it looks the same as yesterday, only a LOT whiter and less streaky everywhere.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I love this and can't wait to see the final pictures.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    getting closer

0q5p2z5g6grw.jpg
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Spent the morning sorting the finishing touches on the flooring - one or two awkward cuts around the doorway, then once that was sorted, I moved the 'fridge back in, after a thorough clean, and swapping the hinges to the other side so I can open the fridge without the door hitting the architrave. I even managed to get the bike back in situ, at least for a couple of snaps...

15503722575_e1d783bf3c_c.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

15503723445_ac048ab3ca_c.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg by The Big Yin, on Flickr

That's it for the weekend - I'll be working on the cabinetry next week, but frankly, I'm ready for a bikeride now...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Oooo, nice... Huge improvement!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is looking sharp! :mrgreen:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cheers guys... it's been a long old slog - at times with the plastering it felt like I'd never get to the end of it - but i'm starting to see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel now.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Right - it's going to get quiet in here for the next week or so, I've ordered the cabinetry, but it's not scheduled for delivery until 21st October so while I'll be doing the odd bits and bobs

(some tidying the paintwork in a couple of places around the doorframe, fitting scotia moulding around the floorline to cover the expansion gap on the flooring, and possibly changing the light fitting to something a little less naff looking - plus ordering the bike support rack)

the room is currently a complete mess, as the various boxes etc are stacked in a corner because I was getting sick of seeing them around the rest of the house.

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    You needed the break anyway. I'm sure the next reports will have some great pictures. :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    just a bit of a shame really, as this weeks weather forecast is terrible - fitting the cabinetry would have been a nice indoor job, out of the rain, with only minimal amounts of heavy lifting :lol:

SigImage.php?a=2b6d6&r=5&c=4&u=M&g=s&f=abcdefijlh&z=a.png
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great bike cave