Pilates on Off Days

Options
I'm on my second week of the programme and am totally loving it. I've been thinking of adding pilates to my off days. I'm hoping that the breath work and stretching would translate to better form while lifting. Does this make sense or is this my own version of broscience?

And, does anyone know of some good online pilates videos? I'm in a small town and I'd have to drive almost an hour to get to a class.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've always had an aversion to pilates myself. but i sure relate to the idea of doing some core stuff on the off days. i'm not even at double for any of my starting weights except for deadlift, but the people who say you're going to need your core when it gets heavy - they're right.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I love doing yoga and don't worry about doing a BodyBalance session on a rest day.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I stopped doing yoga but I need to get back into it at least once or twice a week. Like pilates, yoga helps with flexibility, endurance, balance, focus, and strength.

I also throw in some ab work after I finish my SL workout if I have time. Some examples are stability ball crunches, planks, Russian twists, passing ball from hands to feet (I don't know the name for that one), hanging leg raise, etc.
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was never really a fan of pilates, though I've always loved yoga. I guess I saw it as kind of a yoga rip-off with no real added benefit. One day I accidentally clicked on a video for pilates on youtube (thinking it was yoga) and found that I like it.

Think I'll give it a shot and see if it helps me with my lifts.