Week One Challenge: Fruits and Veggies

Options
Let's load up on the good stuff to help fight off hunger and give us the energy we need to fuel our workouts. The goal is to eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies each day.

You can eat them however you'd like, but try to eat as fresh as possible so you get all the benefits from your food. Making parfaits or homemade smoothies are a great way too get them in, but don't count bottled juices or shakes. You don't need all those additives and sugars anyway.

Feel free to post questions about this challenge here. You can share your recipes, creative ways to get more fruits and veggies in, snack ideas, etc.

Replies

• runningsahm
    runningsahm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Today I had beans, corn, tomato dish for lunch. Then for dinner I made sweet potatoes and had a frozen veg mix (corn, carrots, beans, peas). So I did great for veggies today!
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's great! I love sweet potatoes. My refrigerator is freezing all my veggies, so I can't keep anything fresh lately. I need to stock up on frozen veggies. :(
  • runningsahm
    Options
    I've always been more of a veggie person than fruit. There are few fruits that I eat. =/ Veggies are limited too, but not quite as much. I hate being so picky.
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    It's funny, because I'm not very picky. I love fruits and veggies. As long as I have them fresh I will eat them. It's when they are canned or frozen that I will reach for something else.
  • runningsahm
    Options
    Today I didn't do as well, but I did have cooked carrots at lunch and then more mixed veggies at supper.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I can't do the canned vegetables at all - I think it's textural. Bur frozen is okay. I used to get a big bag of frozen veggies at Costco and throw some in a container with a sauce (cheese or marinara or something) for lunch at work if I didn't have anything else on hand. I should start doing that again. Thanks for the reminder.

Yesterday I didn't feel very hungry. It used to be that when I didn't feel hungry I would think, "I should eat something". I think this is a hold over from childhood. I'm trying to be more intuitive in my eating so I didn't eat much yesterday.

That said, it was home made chili for lunch (this was pretty meaty with grassfed beef and had lots of good veggies cooked down in it - onions, celery, red peppers, mushrooms). Then out with friend for dinner and a bowl of roasted cauliflower soup and a plate of fresh goat cheese and roasted garlic to share. I like that it's cooling down. I love soups and stews!

Can I count wine as a fruit??
  • amsthegreat
    Options
    Sounds like a great day. Wine stayed as a fruit... lol
  • yayaohiggins
    yayaohiggins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a fruit and veggie protein drink after my 3mile walk this morning. Planning on baked sweet potato and asparagus to go with a small piece of pork ribeye for dinner. Apple for my snack.