Introduce yourself

Options
Tell us who you are :)

Replies

• GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    I ride English (hunt seat), working at a barn in exchange for riding time. My family was given a horse (Mustang) by my cousin when I was 11 years old, and then I got my own horse (a Tennessee Walker) for my 12th birthday. I used to ride in a Western saddle or bareback, but changed to English when I started working at this barn (I wanna jump).
    My horse died from colic a year and a half after I got him (he got cast under the feed trough in the barn while we were away from home), and then we sold the Mustang a little while later (we were afraid of her). So then I got desperate to ride, and volunteered to work at the nearby riding stable in exchange for riding time. And that's where I'm at today, in regards to my equestrian-ism.
    As far as my weight, I've always been a little chubby, but didn't know I needed to lose weight until my mom called me fat, and I saw pictures of myself and noticed she was right. So I started exercising, lost 20 pounds, stopped exercising, gained 10, started counting calories, lost 10, stopped counting calories and gained 30. And now I need to lose it again, hopefully for the last time.
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm Kat, I live in Scotland, so I ride English - I compete in showjumping and dressage and I'm giving cross country a try. I have a gorgeous Irish Draft x mare, Roxy (who is in my profile picture) and a cracking little Welsh D X gelding called Monty (in my weight loss ticker photo). I try to ride as much as a can, I have a part loaner for my gelding as I just don't have the time to exercise both of them!

I'm more here for nutrition and fitness rather than weightloss, just a few vanity pounds more than anything else :)
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    Awesome, I love Irish Drafts and Irish Warmbloods, they both look so beautiful and athletic :)
  • horsesarethebomb
    Options
    Hi my name is Jackie - I live in Perth Western Australia. I am lucky enough to have a horse I only dreamed about owning when I was young......her name is Cassie and she is a Palomino Quarter Horse. We have just started doing Camp Drafting which is a heap of fun - for those who have not heard of it it is where you separate 1 cow from a small heard which is the camp, then you move them out of the yard and around 2 pegs in the arena and through a gate. It is a load of fun......My husband competes as well on his Appaloosa mare. We also go on overnight camps with our horses and have a float with sleeping and cooking areas.

I have battled with my weight all my life and for the first time have lost 10kg's I'm lighter now than when I was in my 20's. Feel fantastic and ride so much better. Certainly helps the balance.

Look forward to hearing all your stories!!!!!
  • albuquirkynm
    Options
    What a fabulous group idea! I play polocrosse in Albuquerque, NM (a horse sport popular in Australia and played in Europe, too!). One of my "goals" for losing weight is actually for my QH gelding's sake, hee hee. I feel bad because polocrosse is so "hard" on a horse- a lot of hard stopping, big jumps forward, bursts of speed, turns, etc. He is getting older but still a fabulously fit horse and I know my horse isn't "literally" groaning when I mount (right, that is just a little air release??!) but I want him playing for a few more years and hope that my granddaughter will be able to play him soon! Am doing KettleBells as my "strength" regime and in January of this year started WARM yoga which I absolutely love, love, love but haven't been able to enjoy these past few months as we are riding several times a week to prepare for our National Polocrosse Tournament in October. Wow, it is so nice to meet you all and see your wonderful horsey partners! Good luck to each of you and I hope we can inspire and admire one another along our respective journeys. Thank you, GetSlimEquestrian, for thinking to start this Group!
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    I never heard of camp drafting, sounds interesting :) I don't think it's done around my area, though
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    Aw, thanks, lol. Is polocrosse the full name for polo, or is it something different?

And are you guys able to post topics in the group? If not, let me know what topics you want added
  • SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sue from Kansas City. Horses have been a big part of my life. I started out doing hunter/jumper lessons in the suburbs of Chicago. I went to William Woods and minored in Equestrian Science. I did lots of trail riding. I had a quarter horse that I had trained to drive because I loved her so, but her build left her with a very jarring ride. I have been doing carriage driving ever since. I've even trained a few riding horses to drive.

I still ride occassionally, but my current horse is getting older and she's only 13'3. My weight is too much for her. So I drive her. I keep her at the not-for-profit where I teach some. The kids can ride her.

Currently day dreaming about teaching the rescue pony weanling from the farm to drive. He is very flashy.

Glad to meet you all.
  • horsesarethebomb
    Options
    I am nosy so please don't mind my questions - Just wondered where everyone is situated, and if you are following a specific program for weight loss.

I have lost 15kgs and maintained for the last 4 weeks - now got another 10 to go. My biggest motiation was my poor horse. I started at around 90kg and felt like most of the time I should carry her....lol. I am following a program called Lite and Easy not sure if it is in other countries, but you would have something similar........trying to get my head around calorie counting verses low carb....any thoughts.
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    I'm from the midwest in the USA, what about you?

For weight loss, I'm just following the calorie (and trying to get close to) the macro goals that MFP gave me. Doing an equestrian strength training workout (this one, but not currently doing any regular cardio: http://www.hunterjumperconnection.com/rider-fitness.html) 3x a week as well.

Never heard of Lite and Easy, what is it?

And I prefer calorie counting over carb counting. Calories is what matters for weight loss, and I wouldn't be able to stick to low carb, because carbs are my favorite food group
  • horsesarethebomb
    Options
    I am from Australia and we live about an hour out of Perth - Western Australia in a suburb call Barragup. We are lucky because there are a heap of bridal trails around which keeps us of the roads.

That website link you sent is great - I will save that to my favorites.

Lite n Easy s a program where you buy your food for the week, so much easier than counting calories, and I have worked out that its all about the portion size.......

There are a heap of videos on camp drafting on utube, and I thought it was only done in Australia, but it seems also America if your bored and surfing the net at all.

Your group is a great idea,
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    Ok, then yeah, we have programs like that :) I think Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are like that.

Yeah, that workout is great. I've been doing it for maybe 6 weeks now (trying to do it 3x a week, but really only doing it 2x a week) , and I've noticed more muscle definition in my arms, my butt seems nicer, and when I took my measurements at the beginning of this month I weighed 2 pounds more than last month, but almost all of my measurements had gotten smaller :)

I googled camp drafting and the only thing that turned up was this: http://www.doubledanhorsemanship.com/blog/news-releases/double-dan-horsemanship-teams-united-states-national-campdra/
    Looks like they're trying to bring it to america, but it's not quite here yet (at least it's not popular)
  • joyThegymmonster777
    Options
    hi im mia from ohio. i love horses and grew up riding.
  • phoebeplumb
    phoebeplumb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Phoebe I'm from the east of England. I have been riding English since I could walk. I got my first pony at 3 and I haven't been able to been taken apart since. I currently ride a 13.2hh, 15.1hh and a 16.2hh ex-racehorse. I love my horses to bits but unfortunately I'm getting a bit bit for my pony now and that is why I want to loose weight so I can continue riding him. I compete most weekend in all different disciplines and I have just qualified with my school for a dressage national championships and a showjumping national championships. I have also qualified for national showjumping championships with my riding club.

I also play a lot of sport of school including, Hockey, Netball, Athletics and Rowing. I really enjoy my sports as I am a sports scholar, I am looking towards having a flat stomach as the sports kit at my school is rather fitting I feel rather self-conscious.

Phoebe xx
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi kids! My name is Morgan, I'm an adult (just turned 50) returning to my love of horses over the last few years. I have three Thoroughbreds (two of them off-track) and one Quarter Horse something or other pony.

I had a bad fall in March of 2015 and shattered my left ankle. Took a while for me to get to a weight-bearing stage and I lost a lot of riding muscle and my *kitten* got fat(ter).

So back to the calorie counting and tracking my rides. I'm doing my first horse show since I was probably about 11, at the end of May, and I'd like to not look like a stuffed sausage on top of my gorgeous ride.
  • Stormygirl1111
    Stormygirl1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vickie, 53 years old from Oklahoma. We own several horses and have ridden both disciplines. They gray is my 17.5 hand Warmblood, dressage. I also ride hunters with an OTTB. I have an off track QH, who I trained and rode competitive barrels for several years, not retired. I am open to support of any kind. I love my horses and find all styles of riding interesting. I have been thinking of finding somewhere to take side saddle lessons, but not too many places around here. I am hoping to find encouragement and support here.

Thank you,
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @genxrider good luck on your show :) What are you doing?
  • genxrider
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was going to do a walk/trot equitation class but I had an emergency with my father (who lives with me) so I had to scratch. Oh well. More shows are coming up!
    showjumper wrote: »
    @genxrider good luck on your show :) What are you doing?

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh you brave girl :) I stay away from eq! George Morris would crucify me! I am more eventer then hunter..... but I'm a jumper.. lol.
  • genxrider
    Options
    My prince of a 6 year old Thoroughbred Rory is going to be on stall rest for 30 days so I'm going to be working my pony with an eye to do a schooling jumper show. I have a friend who events giving me lessons and she said my equitation is just about perfect so we're going to concentrate on getting my other horses in shape to start showing. I'll probably do jumpers too.

Once my Rory is back in the game I'm going to learn how to do mounted archery. He's as bomb proof as they come.