Anyone else noticed this with the Garmin Records?

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Just saw this in the "records" section on Garmin Connect:

garminrecords.png

Not sure what's going on -- 1 mile is not 1,083 feet, and a marathon is much more than 39,000 feet. Also not sure why anyone would want to know how far these distances are in feet!

Is this happening to anyone else?

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My view from the App or the website doesn't look like this at all. No weird ft number and no pace. All I see are my PRs in time.

Weird!
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i haven't seen that, but ever since they switched the format online my watch has only been loading my last run onto the website. if i run 5 times in between uploads the first 4 runs never show up. very frustrated with it lately. maybe it's time to retire my 410.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    no wonder people are confused with how far a marathon is!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the resident Canadians to weigh in here
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Dave, Are you on modern Dashboard?

It doesn't for me. I'm still clinging to Manual as long as I can until they throw me out. It's lot stable for me.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    no wonder people are confused with how far a marathon is!

Do you want to sue Garmin for that? We can take that money and you can take me to Jamaica.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the resident Canadians to weigh in here

Since when ft are Metric ? :P
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I only use modern with a basic FR10 ... I don't get those odd numbers.... maybe you are running very tall mountains and don't know it....
  • davemunger
    Options
    Yep, this is on Modern, and yes, it's still happening, even when I switch computers. Strange! I kind of like Modern except when bizarre stuff like this happens.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Very very odd... on my Connect records widget, the place that is showing feet shows the total time.

Based on the distances of your PRs and the avg. pace (which appears to be correct) in your PRs, it looks like there is some weird calculation and then conversion of units error going on.

The # of ft being displayed appears to be a constant 3.28 times the number of seconds it took to complete the activity.

I'd love to understand what is going on there.

Are these PRs captured on Garmin equipment or are the uploaded from other running devices/apps?

Very strange indeed.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes. Same issue.
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just looked and all my records uploaded from my Forerunner 10 look good. I switched to Modern a month or two ago and am finally accustomed to it. I'm not experiencing your or any Garmin problems at the moment. :happy:
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It occurred to me while I was out running this morning what the weird math is that Garmin Connect is doing.

It is taking your total time for the PR, considering it to be meters and then displaying it as feet...

1 meter = 3.28 feet so in its weird twisted mind 1 second = 1 meter = 3.28 feet so 330 seconds for your mile PR = 330 meters = 1083 feet.

So that appears to be the "what" - now the only question is "why" and I'm afraid you've got me there.
  • davemunger
    Options
    It occurred to me while I was out running this morning what the weird math is that Garmin Connect is doing.

It is taking your total time for the PR, considering it to be meters and then displaying it as feet...

1 meter = 3.28 feet so in its weird twisted mind 1 second = 1 meter = 3.28 feet so 330 seconds for your mile PR = 330 meters = 1083 feet.

So that appears to be the "what" - now the only question is "why" and I'm afraid you've got me there.

Ha! I'm impressed you figured that out, but it looks like you are correct. It's still doing it, for what it's worth. I wonder what would happen if one of my PRs changed. Not sure I'm willing to fudge that to try to find out.
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Omg can I go too. Love some Jamaica mon!!!!! ????????????????