[New here] Curious .. re how it accesses ..

Options
N2Couture
N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
.. Our burns. OK,walking I figure it's based on swinging the arms?
IDK but I read somewhere one model (perhaps a future coming one)
can check bp. Does anyone know how we are tracked for our
activities? I'm using the Flex band.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3 axis accelerometer and physics.
    Detects impacts and lack of gravity. There's your steps and time in the air.
    The arm swing actually is removed from the equation as best as possible.

With a known mass, and known stride length (which is estimated based on height or you manually entering a measured one), it knows what the impact of an average stride should be, indicating the known length.
    Less impact less "air" time, smaller step. Bigger impact more air time, bigger step. Big enough, running.

With an actual stride length estimated and time a pace is known, pace and mass calculation for calories burned is very accurate.

And that's why all non-step based activity must be logged manually. Swimming should be obvious, rowing, biking, elliptical, weight lifting, yoga or pilates, ect.

All non-moving time is given sleeping BMR level burn, which actually causes it to underestimate that time.
    Because awake you burn more, RMR.
    Standing non-moving you burn more.
    Eating and digesting and processing food you burn more.

BP won't have anything to do with calorie burn - no relationship. But that would imply reading heart rate.
    HR may, but for both of those that thing would have to be on so tight to be accurate, or like several other trackers that are out now, the heart beating is a big estimate, not for calorie burn, but just to get an idea of your range and state.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.Interesting.