Just something to make you giggle...

Options
I have been looking for a 6' bar for a while now to replace my 5'. I noticed my local sports store having a sale so I went in and found my bar. As I am paying, the guy tells his coworker he'll be right back he has to load the bar for me. The store was busy, so I said no problem, I'll rake it myself. He looks at me, dead serious, and says "Are you sure, its really heavy, I don't want you to hurt yourself!" My mom was shopping with me, and she burst out laughing.

So what are some of your "I don't want you to hurt yourself" stories?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    At the gym in the deadlift area. I was stripping the bar from some ****ers who didn't rerack his weights, when some dude tried showing me some method of taking the plates off the bar. I told him that this is my warm up and I am good. I hate help at the gym.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a 6' bar for a while now to replace my 5'.

. . . how much does a 6' bar weigh that it could be so 'heavy'? does that guy even lift?
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    That was pretty much my experience when I got my weight set... I just gave the guy the stink eye and picked that ****e up :D
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a 6' bar for a while now to replace my 5'.

. . . how much does a 6' bar weigh that it could be so 'heavy'? does that guy even lift?

Apparently not. Lol.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    At the gym in the deadlift area. I was stripping the bar from some ****ers who didn't rerack his weights, when some dude tried showing me some method of taking the plates off the bar. I told him that this is my warm up and I am good. I hate help at the gym.

There is no way I could do a gym. One of my friends told me that our local gym is full of two kinds of people. The people who are there to trade drugs, or the people who are there for the hook ups. I am so grateful that I got my rack so I could progress at home.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    That was pretty much my experience when I got my weight set... I just gave the guy the stink eye and picked that ****e up :D

LOL! Got to love that! I guess they just assume that since we don't look like She Hulks that we are weak.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Did he not notice that you carried it to the counter?

I don't have any of those stories yet, but I will someday! :)

C.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Last night we were at Wal-Mart, we were getting dog food. We buy the big bag-maybe 25lbs? I grabbed it and was walking to the cart. DH says "ohh, let me get that, you're pregnant." I glared at him and refused to put it in the cart. Said "I will CARRY this to the checkout." He SAW my lifts the other day. What makes him think I can bench/row 75lbs 3x10, but can't carry a 25 lb bag of dog food?

I've noticed most of these stories are about men. Pfft!
  • randomtai
    Options

There is no way I could do a gym. One of my friends told me that our local gym is full of two kinds of people. The people who are there to trade drugs, or the people who are there for the hook ups. I am so grateful that I got my rack so I could progress at home.

Different strokes. Although drugs and hookers at the gym would make me reconsider living in the neighborhood altogether. *shrug*
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My mom. I tell her I squatted my BW at the gym today, a few minutes later I'm grabbing some stuff from her car (cat litter and food) and she goes like "don't try to carry it all at once, it's heavy!"

Um. yeah, like 40lbs. Big deal. (It's more of a hassle to balance it than to lift it, lol)

Or my grandparents ask me to pick up something from their basement, like a small table, and ask me to wait for my uncle or my sister's boyfried to help me out with it. *sigh*
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most recently...at the airport getting on one of those parking shuttle buses to get back to my car. I had two pieces of luggage with me, both about 40 pounds or so. The driver opened the door and before he could even get out of his seat (they usually get up to lift your bags on for you) I stepped right up with one bag in each hand and threw them on the rack. He just looked at me with really huge wide eyes and said, "dang girl, you're strong!" I just sort of grinned and said thanks! Hee hee, it was awesome.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think it is not so much about our strength but their perceived lack of masculinity. I talk to a guy I work with a bit about lifting (nothing specific, but we have discussed 1rm a bit) and he still insists on lifting any analyzers that need to get shipped.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It wasn't at the gym, but it was this past Saturday. I feed my dog raw prey model and I get his meat and animal parts from a supplier that delivers nearby. I picked up my two boxes, one was 5lbs of stuff and the other was 40lbs. This lady comes out of the van to help the man sort the orders and offers to help me. I said no, I got it, it's only 2 boxes - stack the small on the the heavy one. "But, that's 40lbs - that's one of the heaviest boxes!" Me: "It's ok. I workout." After I tossed the boxes in my car I watched this same lady struggle to help someone else carry one box to their car. Yes lady, throw your back out "helping" people. :noway:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    OK these are really funny, but to play devils advocate...

The store clerks probably don't want you to fall/hurt yourself....and then sue and they get fired.

I don't get the "That's too heavy for you" comments. I get stares. 40 pounds of birdseed on each shoulder. Now if someone could just get the door, that would be great. As someone else said, its balancing it not the weight that is the hard part!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Last night we were at Wal-Mart, we were getting dog food. We buy the big bag-maybe 25lbs? I grabbed it and was walking to the cart. DH says "ohh, let me get that, you're pregnant." I glared at him and refused to put it in the cart. Said "I will CARRY this to the checkout." He SAW my lifts the other day. What makes him think I can bench/row 75lbs 3x10, but can't carry a 25 lb bag of dog food?

I'm thinking he's thinking of the baby. While it's pretty safe to keep doing exercises that you did before pregnant, he is probably just excited and grateful for you and the baby :)
  • gracielynn1011
    Options

Different strokes. Although drugs and hookers at the gym would make me reconsider living in the neighborhood altogether. *shrug*

True. Although its jot actually in my neighborhood. I would have a 25 minute drive to get there if I went. But there is no other gyms in the area, so the people who don't have the space for at home have no other options.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options

Yeah, I think it is not so much about our strength but their perceived lack of masculinity. I talk to a guy I work with a bit about lifting (nothing specific, but we have discussed 1rm a bit) and he still insists on lifting any analyzers that need to get shipped.

That is what my husband says. We work together and I am the only woman on the team, and he still won't let me help pick up heavier items. He says even though he thinks I'm awesome, he doesn't want "the guys" to think I can lift more than him. Lol
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    OK these are really funny, but to play devils advocate...

The store clerks probably don't want you to fall/hurt yourself....and then sue and they get fired.

You are probably right on that.I guess I should have let him carry it to the door at least for liability reasons.
  • randomtai
    Options

True. Although its jot actually in my neighborhood. I would have a 25 minute drive to get there if I went. But there is no other gyms in the area, so the people who don't have the space for at home have no other options.

I am thankful that I live in NYC where there are plenty of drug free gyms. :laugh:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    He just looked at me with really huge wide eyes and said, "dang girl, you're strong!"

it's just great when people have that kind of positive non-competitive reaction - especially guys. i love it. none of that stronger-than-thou stuff going on in the back of their minds at all, just the same recognition they give one another for doing something they find impressive. i got something like that in the gym a while back, when i was going for a fixed-weight barbell of 50lbs to do squat warmups. this man was on his way over to help me get it out of the stack, so he got to see me press it up over my head and bring it down on my traps. same thing. his eyes went huge and then he just beamed.

i miss my big artsie friend sometimes. it's all his fault that i got into all this anyway, because he's been informally strong all his life, and i got competitive. he just thought it was neat that i was strong too, or wanted to be. if he was still in town i'd have someone i trusted to brag and show off to a bit.