would you lift with a kink in the back?

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i just want to poll people's opinions and experience. i have what feels like a minor something going on, and i'm torn between not doing anything at all until it sorts itself out, and the idea that if i go out there and put the muscles to careful use with good form, it might actually make them straighten out.

thoughts? experiences?

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I'm usually pretty cautious with my back since I've injured it before, so my initial response would be to take it easy.

But.... I did just have a friend go through something similar. He went ahead and lifted, but started with very light warm-ups to test out how he was feeling. Obviously was also *super* aware of his form the whole time and took it slow.

Either way, go with your gut. You know your body better than anyone else.

C.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nope. I went in cautiously when I tweaked my back a little and made it into a little more.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Nope, nope and nope. Don't push it with a hinky back.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sigh . . . okay, thanks guys. i don't think i've hurt anything (yet), it's more like just a pinch or a twinge, something snagged up on something else where it shouldn't be. i think i did it with one-armed rows a few days ago, and whatever got torqued out of position just won't go back to where it came from.

very very frustrating, and if i get frustrated enough i might go through the couch cushions and come up with $75 for a quick chiropractor visit. at least mine is a beast for the whole sports-med-workout-exercise thing so if i say i want it right enough to lift with, he'll give me a trustworthy set of advice.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the tightness stems from Tight hip flexors can give you low back pain. I wouldn't hesitate to lift then. A bulging or herniated disc might be a different story.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Nope - I wouldn't. As a very inspiring lifter said to me once when I asked the same thing " rest for a bit now, or rest for a long time later when you really hurt yourself"
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    The problem is you never know what will happen if you push.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope...I pushed myself after a groin pull...thought it was just a simple strain...

it was started at a 1st degree pull and I didn't rest it and it turned into a 2nd degree pull...

took almost 10 months for it to feel better (just this past month)

don't screw with "little" things as they could be big things.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I would rest it, just because it could get so much worse if you push it.