Serious Question for Bigger Riders

Options
So I bought myself a pair of Bontrager Race Bibs a couple weeks ago and love the added comfort the bring when on the bike. It allowed me to easily go fro 45-60 minute rides to 120 minutes over night. Not wanting to scare the women and Children I have been wearing a variety of "Running" shorts over top of them while out riding. But I am finding that the running shorts are getting snagged on the seat as well as riding up on me while pedaling.

At what point can one safely ditch the shorts and just wear bibs. And I do not mean from a functional standpoint. I mean from the other cyclists not looking at you and going Sweet Baby Jesus WTF are you thinking. Not so much worried about the people in cars thoughts. I have already experienced the drive by "Keep pedaling fat *kitten*, apparently it is not working" back when I started riding.

Replies

• Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make it conditional on what others are going to do it's going to vary. So, screw'em -- I think most people won't care. I, and my fat *kitten*, love my bibs. I do have a pair of baggy bike shorts from aerotechdesigns.com but i've never seen baggy bibs. I thought about wearing shorts over my bibs but figured it wouldn't be comfortable and so I've never tried it.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd just say try not to worry about it. Once you get out there a few times without the 2nd layer, you'll feel better about it.
    Be comfortable.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    how can I put this... Feck Em All... wear just the bibs and a decent riding shirt and be comfortable.

(I was 398lb / 177kg when I started, and frankly, I didn't give a rats *kitten* about how I looked then, and I'm not over fussy now (at 252lb / 114kg - I just know I'm comfortable.)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Clothing are functional first, fashionable as a second thought. Be comfortable.
  • bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My wife says that my bike shorts make my back side look cute. So I just go along with that and hope everyone else feels the same....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Embrace the lycra! No one cares. And if they do, **** 'em. I mean, don't wear them around the grocery store but if you are on your bike, you are on your bike. Or whatever. Wear them around the grocery store.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Within 5 feet of your bike, wear what you want.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Don't wear anything under or over your bibs, they were designed to be worn as is. On longer rides if you have an extra pair of shorts over the top you may well get chafing issues. As TBY says feck 'em all!! :smile:
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can buy casual baggy shorts with chamois inserts sewn in (some have removable inserts), specifically designed for riding comfort and/or off road cycling. I've got a couple of pairs that I wear with regular lycra jerseys, and in winter I wear them with standard leg warmers
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    As someone who often looks very sausage-legged in my Lyrca, I say go for it. You're out there doing your thing, by all means, deserve to be comfortable. People in cars are not always the biggest fans of us roadies now matter what we do or wear, so if you're going to be try and make those people you're screwed the minute you clip in. If I saw someone wearing running shorts over their bibs while out riding I would think that a hellva lot odder than someone, regardless of size, just rocking their bibs. But again, who the hell cares what I, or anyone else, thinks. Do what's right for you and if that's riding a bike in just bibs - let your freak flag fly!
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bugger them. If they can't say anything nice, find someone else to ride with.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Did the shorts over thing again Thursday night but think that is the last time. Just to big a PIA. It is not like I am covered in logos trying to look like I am Lance. All black shorts, all black top. Okay the shoes are flashy but that is it.