help please

Options
dejavuohlala
dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
MFP has me at 1700 calories burn per day, so to get a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose 1lb per week(although i am not losing) i have a 1200 to eat per day.( i am set at sedatory) FITBIT says i burn on average 1870 per day, i am staying around the 1200 to 1250 mark per day in calories eaten- all measured and weighed, i am not losing.
1. why the difference in calorie burned on fitbit and MFP??
2. Because fitbit has a higher calorie burn daily for me should be eating more than 1200???? why oh why are these things so complicated.

any help welcome please.

Carol

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Because of my age and my height MFP puts me at 1400 calories to maintain. As I am not supposed to eat less than 1200 it says I should lose 0.4 lbs per week and 2lbs by October 23rd. This really is not much so any cheating I do or mistakes I make will soon eat up that 0.4lb loss. I suppose with you it depends on your age and height.

If I want to eat more or better still, lose more, I need to exercise more. That way I burn more calories. It is really all attention to detail. Weighing everything that goes in your mouth. Also Fitbit is not necessarily accurate so I don't eat back all my exercise calories.

Weight loss gets harder the older we get. I don't know your age but just telling you my side of things.

I don't really know why there is a difference between the two unless you have them set up differently. E.g. sedentary or slightly active. They are both only guesstimates really. I usually go with MFP for my calories.

I am sure someone else may have a more scientific answer for you. I just know I have to be very careful or I don't lose anything.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates your burn based on your stats and activity level. Fitbit uses your actual activity level. If you have them synced, though, MFP should give you the extra calories your burn according to Fitbit.

How long have you been at it? How do you track your calories in? I mean, do you use a food scale? Log everything you eat, drink including condiments, cooking oils, etc.? Do you track/log every day?
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Hi Staci

yes i do log everything on my food diary and i do weight and measure my portions etc. I have been on mfp for over a year and lost 27 lbs up to July 2014 then another 2 lb since July and that is it. MFP NEVER gives me anymore calories from fitbit
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    thank you for your response, i am 67 and 5ft 5.5in, been on here 1 year and lost 27lbs up to July then only 2lb since, both systems set at sedatory.

all very odd

thank you for assisting
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I found it fairly ease, and quick, to lose the first 5-7%. Since then it has been very slow in moving the scale. My guess, for myself, is that to drop another 10 or so pounds I'd need to cut back to a level below which I am comfortable. what I am looking for is a level that both lets me continue to lose a couple of pounds a month until I reach my goal but that is also a level I can live with for the next 20 or so years. From what I have read, bouncing up and down is much worse that sitting on a plateau even if that plateau is higher than I'd like. Looks to me like you were losing 2# per month then your body got used to the new you and slowed down. However since the scale is still moving, however slowly it might seem, things look to be going in the right direction. If you had lost the 27 pounds then gained 4-5 back since July I might be concerned.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thanks very much, i will keep plodding on no matter how frustrating