ONRAMP: What should I expect ?

Options
toffee2013
toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
Hi,

I have my induction next week and was wondering what to expect and what I will be asked to do? I know it may vary from box to box but just an idea would be appreciated.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yay for getting started! I hope you love it.

In my Elements onramp course, we learned the basic moves:

Burpees
    Pullups with a band or a box
    Box jumps
    Wall balls
    Jumping rope
    Air squats
    Pushups

We also started on form for the lifts (with a PVC pipe):

Power clean
    Back squat
    Front squat
    Overhead press
    Clean and jerk
    Deadlift
    Snatch
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This can vary from location to location but in a nutshell it’s designed to introduce you to the CrossFit methodology, the core CrossFit movements, and the intensity of the workouts.

Here's a good example of a 12 week on-ramp schedule..

http://crossfitsouthboise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/CrossFitOnRamp.pdf

Overall I just advise to go at your own pace and don't worry about who's lifting what around you.
    It has a very competitive feel to it, but ultimately it's your body and you'll know when things are too much...

Good Luck!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did a few onramp classes at the beginning of summer. Like the others said, it is an introduction to the common movements used in Crossfit, but it goes easy on the complex lifts -- so you can learn the form.
    Despite that, mine tended to be pretty rigorous. We did WODs and they were hard, with lots of jump rope, running, sled pulling, push-ups and burpees, etc.
    I thought they were fun.
  • kaaaaylee
    Options
    Expect to learn a LOT of terms with movements that are similar, and you will forget which is which. ALSO, you will be sore, just push through it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Expect to be very sore. Learn to love the foam roller (embrace the pain) and mobility work.

Remember that while right now the warmup might seem like it's own killer exercise, it gets easier fast. I knew I was making progress when I finished a warmup and was thinking "cool now I'm ready to do this WOD" instead of sucking wind. Those warmups will go a long way to alleviating the soreness too.

If you're sore and still, go to the gym anyways. It will help.

Focus ENTIRELY on form and technique to start. Get the movements right, scale the weights if necessary, don't worry about intensity. Once you can do things the right way, THEN start upping the intensity. If you have questions about form, ask. I went to all the coaches and told them to never, ever think I'd be made if they stopped me and corrected something I was doing.

Keep an eye on your diet. I lost 20 lbs immediately and then have stabilized for a year because I was not paying proper attention to my diet. You can't out-train bad eating. Don't be crazy about it, just keep an eye on it.

I think someone posted a good meme here that I'll repeat:

It will take about one month/six weeks for you to feel the difference in your strength.

It will take another six weeks for you to notice the differences

It will take another six weeks for other people to notice.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) Crapping myself now! Kidding. This particular box do a 2 hour onramp, which is probably not the best but It's the nearest place to me. I'm very familiar with lifting, etc and intense training, so that's why i just went with that box, instead of travelling far out.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My old box only did a 2 hour on ramp... needless to say i learned terrible form and bad habits, and got hurt often... switched boxes to one that did 4 weeks 3x a week, and now I see the difference between a ok box and a GREAT box. we did 1 hour and a half just on proper deadlifts. I would hope with only 2 hours during actual wods they don't allow you to do things until they are 100% that you know the right way.. best of luck!
  • toffee2013
    Options
    Well as long as I'm aware of what I can do and what I can't, I should be OK. I'm making sure I get my money's worth trust me and I'll tell them if I don't feel ready yet and they would need to bare with me during wods.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have just started. I only did a 3 hour on ramp this week though and Im into the classes next week!
    I am probably not as fit as you but I found the first day seriously tough. I am still aching in my arms...
    The second day involved a fair amount of puff too and the 3rd was just technique without a WOD.
    There was a lot of emphasis on technique though. A lot to learn!

I did my on ramp with 3 men so I was never going to be on par with them, especially as Im curvy ;-).
    The coach in my box decides on the WOD each week so its not part of the regular online one.
    Im in the uk too, so its relatively new here.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    I have just started. I only did a 3 hour on ramp this week though and Im into the classes next week!
    I am probably not as fit as you but I found the first day seriously tough. I am still aching in my arms...
    The second day involved a fair amount of puff too and the 3rd was just technique without a WOD.
    There was a lot of emphasis on technique though. A lot to learn!

I did my on ramp with 3 men so I was never going to be on par with them, especially as Im curvy ;-).
    The coach in my box decides on the WOD each week so its not part of the regular online one.
    Im in the uk too, so its relatively new here.

I think mines on my own! lol He never mentioned there being anyone else as he worked it around my schedule. All the better really as I get the full attention. The course varies from box to box but I'm guess the longer the course , the better and less intimidated you feel in the WOD's. I''ve got it in an hours time lol Nervous.
  • Curlychip
    Options
    Lol! I cried a little today. Ive never done a lunge that deep, and so many, and with a bar :-D Dont think I can stand up from the toilet any more
    :laugh:
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) Crapping myself now! Kidding. This particular box do a 2 hour onramp, which is probably not the best but It's the nearest place to me. I'm very familiar with lifting, etc and intense training, so that's why i just went with that box, instead of travelling far out.

That's what mine did as well. Close is better too. Less likely to make excuses not to go.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My old box only did a 2 hour on ramp... needless to say i learned terrible form and bad habits, and got hurt often... switched boxes to one that did 4 weeks 3x a week, and now I see the difference between a ok box and a GREAT box. we did 1 hour and a half just on proper deadlifts. I would hope with only 2 hours during actual wods they don't allow you to do things until they are 100% that you know the right way.. best of luck!

If they do 2 hours it needs to be followed up by good coaching. We were told to focus on form first and always the coaches knew the new faces and would jump in if we started messing up. Hell, I've been there a year and they still don't hestitate to correct, though now I usually know something is off before they tell me.
  • toffee2013
    Options
    Wow what a session I had. It was just me, so had his full undivided attention. He is a brilliant coach and is well educated on the subject. I really enjoyed it and was squatting over 30 kg. He was very impressed with how I got to grips with the moves. Form , form, form . Apparently I have a good posture and im quite flexible, which is apparently a good thing to have for lifting.
    2 hours turned into nearly 4 hours, so I'm well chuffed. He said that he doesn't expect me to know everything for the WOD and will focus on me for the next 3-4 sessions. I think i'm lucky in that it was just me starting.
    I'm already bruising on my left knee but I bruise so easily, really annoying. I'm going to be in immense pain tomorrow, I just know it. Doing the WOD on weds, wish me luck !
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Might want to grab thin knee pads for lunges. My knees bruise easy and I also have a screw right under my left knee from my old ACL surgery. Much easier to do walking lunges mentally knowing I have a bit of padding.
  • Curlychip
    Options
    4 hours! Wow! well done :happy:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wow what a session I had. It was just me, so had his full undivided attention. He is a brilliant coach and is well educated on the subject. I really enjoyed it and was squatting over 30 kg. He was very impressed with how I got to grips with the moves. Form , form, form . Apparently I have a good posture and im quite flexible, which is apparently a good thing to have for lifting.
    2 hours turned into nearly 4 hours, so I'm well chuffed. He said that he doesn't expect me to know everything for the WOD and will focus on me for the next 3-4 sessions. I think i'm lucky in that it was just me starting.
    I'm already bruising on my left knee but I bruise so easily, really annoying. I'm going to be in immense pain tomorrow, I just know it. Doing the WOD on weds, wish me luck !

Sounds great, congrats!