Weightlifting while pregnant?

Options
2»

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sara_m83 wrote: »
    Is anyone getting pain/discomfort from ab exercises, particularly in the plank position? I don't know if it's just that the uterus is getting in the way now or what. During abs and in lunges, I get the oddest sensations/discomfort.

I'm not doing a whole lot of abs right now, but Yes, if I am in plank and do plank twists or bring my knee in to my forehead, and when I do lunges and sometimes squats I feel pressure/something pushing in my abdomen. I figured it was my uterus getting in the way so I just back off on the depth of my movement. It definitely is an odd feeling.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    ganzelly wrote: »
    sara_m83 wrote: »
    Is anyone getting pain/discomfort from ab exercises, particularly in the plank position? I don't know if it's just that the uterus is getting in the way now or what. During abs and in lunges, I get the oddest sensations/discomfort.

I'm not doing a whole lot of abs right now, but Yes, if I am in plank and do plank twists or bring my knee in to my forehead, and when I do lunges and sometimes squats I feel pressure/something pushing in my abdomen. I figured it was my uterus getting in the way so I just back off on the depth of my movement. It definitely is an odd feeling.

Thanks for replying! I've done the same, though find that some days there is more discomfort than others. Some days I can do lunges, others I decide it's too uncomfortable. Some days doing push-ups is uncomfortable, others, I can push out 50. I have not heard any credible reason or advice for avoiding exercises that activate the transverse abdominals, but that's where it seems to cause the most discomfort. I guess just a day at a time!