64oz's ?

Options
I know this has been asked a million times. But this is a million and 1.:laugh: I've always been wondering about what all I can count as my 64oz's. I always count my water of course, but I drink my coffee or cappuccino every morning and I don't know if it, or my shake can be included in it or not. Does anyone have the answer to this? If it doesn't, I've been falling short the entire time because i'm barely getting in 40oz's a day in that case. I notice at the bottom of my log on myfitness pal has the number of glasses of water a day. would I add it there?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I count my protein milk and decaf coffee but not my regular coffee as it is a natural diuretic.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had heard (but haven't verified w/my doctor) that the water, milk count towards the 64 oz. I heard regular coffee does not count and that decaf only gets counted as half.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There seems to be some difference about that between doctors, nutritionists and other health people. I've heard only water counts, only non-caloric liquids, coffee does/does not count, etc. There's also some debate about counting the water in your foods. The only universal seems to be that soda is bad.

I generally only count plain ol' water (which may have a squeeze of fruit, crystal light, etc). For the first 2-3 weeks after surgery when it was hard to get anything down, I did include isopure drinks. I still have "clear" protein drinks most days and if I'm really tight to make my 4L quota I will count that to make me feel better :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Per my nutritionist when I started this at the beginning (3 years ago) what counts as water other than just plain water is:

flavored water (but watch the calories and sodium)
    the first cup of coffee in the day - but just the one and it doesn't matter if it's decaff or regular, you may count no more than one cup
    Protein water like Isopure Zero
    tea, hot or cold, as long as it has no sugar/sweetner/calories added to it - if it does, you count as you do coffee, one cup only

Shakes don't count as they are meal replacements. And remember to count your calories in flavored water, coffee creamer, sweetners of any kind. Those calories might be liquid, but they still add up.

Ad remember, every program/doctor is different. So your doctor or nutritionist might say something different. HOpe that helps.

Pat
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I count all my fluids per NUT's instructions.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

And my point about them all being different exactly! Check with your doctor for correct instructions for you. :wink:

Pat
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

And my point about them all being different exactly! Check with your doctor for correct instructions for you. :wink:

Pat

+1 check with your MD!

Also, do you feel thirsty or hungry? Have you been ... ahem.. backed up? Because if so, you are probably not drinking enough. Also, if you have to ask, you are probably not getting enough. It never hurts to get more than 64 oz. Frankly, I lose weight more quickly when I'm getting at least 80 oz per day. I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle at work, and another at home, and I try to get 3 of those in every day as my goal.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If it's liquid I count it. Just keep drinking.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    LOL! I count everything because I don't make it most days.