Shape up to go deeper into the wilderness

One of the drivers to me doing all this (getting healthier, losing weight, getting fitter) is so that in theory, I'll be able to enhance my geocaching experience. I love the type of caches that present a single target - I'm more than happy to spend a whole day getting to one really special cache than scooping lots of box tickers.

Going deeper into the wilderness is what I'm talking about. Not just off the beaten track, but off the track altogether. To boldly go where no cacher has ever gone before.

Running or walking? I'm more of a walker - more kit and have the ability to stop and have a rest and enjoy the view, but I guess people have combined cross country distant running with geocaching - but in winter especially, you can't stop for too long for fear of getting too cooled down. Sometimes though, time at GZ forces you to stop and study detail for minutes (hours sometimes in my case!)..

I think i heard about an army walk jog walk jog idea - that may be more suitable..

Perhaps even a look to sports such as the winter Biathlon, combining hard going cardio cross country skiing then, extreme focus and detailed concentration for rifle shooting, or the summer Biathlon (replacing skiing with cross country running) .

Has anyone got any thoughts on covering a lot of ground in 1 day? Considering that you may have to stop for a while. What kit / essential must have items (when weight of kit is a real consideration) ? Some would say all you really 'need' for geocaching is a gps and a pencil (possibly opened a can-o-worms with that one!) .. Technique ? Modelled on the way <insert persona type here> do it.

I'd be really interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this topic.

TFTC. SL
(TNLN)