Queries: TIA

Options
Hello everyone,

I have started doing strong lifts 3 months back. Have been doing beach body workouts in the past as well.

I currently lift 75 kgs in deadlifts, 52.5 kgs in squats, 25 kgs in overhead press, 32.5 kgs in bench press and 45 kgs in rows.

I am concerned about my form and have a few queries. Would really appreciate if you could guide me

1. Squats: I am still not going deep enough. Sometimes my body leans forward. I made a video recently and realized the barbell movement is not in same vertical plane, How do I correct this? :sick:
2. Deadlifts: I am not doing lifts from the ground in each reps. If I try to do that, I get scared that my back is bending. :sad:
3. Overhead press: I was doing behind the back one for sometime (an error on my part) I corrected it recently but I havent been able to progress with weights. My hands feel weak at the top. :cry:
4. Rows: Again I am not touching the floor in each rep. Same concern with the back.:ohwell:

I am concerned that if my form is not perfect I might risk injury. Any help is greatly appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Additionally, if any of you has pdf links for starting strength by rippetoe, kindly forward.

Thank you:happy:

Replies

• anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    First step is to deload, if you can't get your form drop your weight until you get it figured out!

1. Squats: I am still not going deep enough. Sometimes my body leans forward. I made a video recently and realized the barbell movement is not in same vertical plane, How do I correct this? <b>Deload and keep trying, work on your hip and ankle mobility might help too.</b>
    2. Deadlifts: I am not doing lifts from the ground in each reps. If I try to do that, I get scared that my back is bending. <b> if you are using smaller plates, you can use some other plates to stack the barbell higher, if you are already using 45lbs (20 kg) plates then you just need to work on form (keeping your back straight and hip mobility </b>
    3. Overhead press: I was doing behind the back one for sometime (an error on my part) I corrected it recently but I havent been able to progress with weights. My hands feel weak at the top. <b> OHP is a pain to progress, either get fractional plates so you don't have to move up by 2.5 kg every time or increase reps before you increase weight </b>
    4. Rows: Again I am not touching the floor in each rep. Same concern with the back <b> same as deadlifts </b>

ETA I just can't get the bold to work
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're that worried about form I'd suggest finding a good trainer who's experienced in coaching compound lifts. If the funds aren't available for such, then you need to do your homework, video everything etc. until your form is perfect. You mentioned Starting Strength which I would suggest for everyone who's interesting in barbell lifting purchase. It's available for purchase on Amazon.com for a measly $22.00.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I'm fairly new to SL too, but will share a few things I've figured out:

Squats -- See if widening your stance and/or pointing your toes outward helps with keeping your heels on the ground. It's definitely helped me. (I'm only doing bodyweight at the moment, but same principle should apply.)

DL -- Agree with Llama. I stack two plates underneath. Will go down to one when I get to using the 25 lbs. plates.

Rows -- Again, stack plates if necessary. But even with plates, I don't touch them between every rep. I stay in a pretty low position to do these and feel as long as I'm getting full extension in my arms on the way down, I'm better off keeping my legs in place and my back neutral than worrying about hitting the floor.

Injury -- I'm also worried about this, but really concentrating on tightening my whole core -- back, abs, butt -- as much as possible on every single exercise has made the world of difference for me.

Good luck -- keep us posted. There's a great daily check-in thread in this team's forums. :)

C.
  • anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Extremely helpful. Started reading rippetoe's book