Medium Long Run

Options
I implemented a mid week (well, beginning of week really) medium long run for this marthon training cycle and just wondering a few things for others who do this:

-what mileage do you top out your medium at?
-do you do the medium long run every week?
- what does it turn into when you taper?

i am currently 6 weeks out from my marathon, with long run of 22 this weekend, my medium long run was 14 yesterday. My other runs during the week are usually 8-10 (easy), 8-10 (speedwork), and a split day of 6AM/4PM (recovery, easy). I take one active and one full rest day.

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I do! And my answers are:
    - yes.
    - I more or less follow a Pfitzinger & Douglas plan including their taper. Last time the last midweek mlr was 12 miles 2.5 miles before the race. Last 'long' run (actually medium) was 13 miles the Sunday before race day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I do! And my answers are:
    - yes.
    - I more or less follow a Pfitzinger & Douglas plan including their taper. Last time the last midweek mlr was 12 miles 2.5 miles before the race. Last 'long' run (actually medium) was 13 miles the Sunday before race day.

Just about like this but topping out at 13 miles.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I implemented a mid week (well, beginning of week really) medium long run for this marthon training cycle and just wondering a few things for others who do this:

-what mileage do you top out your medium at?
    -do you do the medium long run every week?
    - what does it turn into when you taper?

i am currently 6 weeks out from my marathon, with long run of 22 this weekend, my medium long run was 14 yesterday. My other runs during the week are usually 8-10 (easy), 8-10 (speedwork), and a split day of 6AM/4PM (recovery, easy). I take one active and one full rest day.

I am following a Pfitzinger plan and there is a mid week medium long run. It tops out at 13. Yes, I do it every week. During taper it looks like it goes down to 8. I am also 6 weeks out from my marathon. :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I follow the Daniels plan and he doesn't specify a midweek long run. Some of his midweek workouts can get up to 12-13 though when you count warm-up and cool-down. If I need extra miles to hit my weekly mileage I will generally do it with two runs in the same day rather than a single longer run (e.g. 8 miles in the morning and 6 that evening, not 14 all at once).
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    12-14 sounds about right. It really depends on your mileage. In the taper it might be 10, 8 then 6 the week of.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I also do a midweek medium-long run when not marathon training - if my long run is 13 my medium run is about 8. Though like Dave some of my quality sessions do also come out longer than the designated 'medium' run including warm-up and cool-down.

I did think being used to running 15 miles on a regular basis made my first marathon in particular easier. I got to 11 miles in the race and felt like the rest would be easy because it was only the length of a Wednesday run.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I got the idea from Advanced Marathoning-- Pfiz's book. But I just kinda slotted it into my Mcmillan plan (which has 90-105 as a monday run...I just extend that a bit and do 11-14 miles). I feel like, after reading this thread, I am on the right track with it.

14 did feel a bit rough this week though, but I did race saturday, so that might be it. I think I'll stick with 14 again next week and see how that feels and then go from there.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My mid-week long runs usually top out around 10 but that is mostly due to time limits, I'd go longer if I could.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    14 did feel a bit rough this week though, but I did race saturday, so that might be it. I think I'll stick with 14 again next week and see how that feels and then go from there.

Yes, you did indeed race!

I'm not sure I can offer much from the "old folks" perspective.

Mine is not so much distance as it is time, with specific elements to be worked in for each time out the door. Because the distance varies with the pace (either because of the specific workout or the overall increase of speed with conditioning), the distances have tended to get longer to meet the minimum time requirements on the weekday runs. Because the race we ran in fell on a speed workout weekend (and I ran the race as a workout hybrid), this week is an "easy week" for me. But at my pace the midweek runs tend to end up at between 6 and 10 miles at least twice during the week.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't follow much of a plan but midweek for me tops out at about 9-10...twice usually. Or I'll throw a double in there to get me in the 12-13 range. But again, no real plan here...just what feels good.

And to add, I still get in a 9 the week before my race and drop to about 6 the week of.