What do you do to keep your cravings and appetite at bay?

Options
I am curious and need some tips on how to keep my appetite at bay, as well as surpassing those sweet treat cravings in the middle of the night. My routine used to include indulging on a sweet chocolaty treat and then something salty, as soon as everyone was tucked away and sleeping. So what do you do to help you in those tough moments?

Replies

• mummymechell
    Options
    I was just googleing how to keep my PMS craving under control, im finding i eat like i'm never going to eat again for the week. The best thing i found was to try to find something that is healthier but is similar. Like a choc dip strawberry for sweet, and feta on crackers for salt. That way i'm feeding the craving but not breaking my calorie bank.
  • SundaeT
    Options
    Peanut Butter! Be careful because the calories do creep up....HOWEVER when I am cooking dinner I usually would find myself picking and nibbling...and I am positive that is why I couldn't get any of the weight off. I have found that measuring out a TBLSP of peanut butter with a spoon and literally holding it in my mouth (sound weird, I now, right?!) keeps me from snacking while I cook. Now, when I am PMSing I usually find comfort in salty foods so I eat mini rice cakes (the Quaker lime and sea salt ones are tasty!) with a tablespoon of light cream cheese do the trick for me!
  • SundaeT
    Options
    Also...at night is when I am the hungriest. My kids go down and I'm watching TV. I want a snack. I think about it for a while then tell myself no, then it pops back into my head and I fought with myself again. Then I will usually do one of two things: go into the bathroom and brush my teeth (this is me telling myself I am not eating for the rest of the night) or I make myself a cup of mint tea...it is really satisfying! If I still am trying to talk myself into one small snack I just shut off the lights and go to bed - boring, but it works!
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I chug ice cold water & wait awhile to see if the craving passes, most of the time it does. When it doesn't I'm full of water so the amount that I eat isn't what I would without. I'm a horrible boredom eater so night is torture for me! Sitting & watching tv doing nothing I just want something to eat with no real craving. That's when I go on pantry raids trying to fill my unknown craving.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I am going to continue to try these tricks to see if it helps me. You guys rock!
  • jeansalinas731
    jeansalinas731 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free jello, its sweet and only 5 calories.
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To not snack at night, first I make sure to have a good full supper. If you're craving sweets, have some fruit or even make a smoothie. If it's salt you're craving, nuts are my go to.
    All those and of course drink water, tones of it.

After my pregnancy with my son I have been slowly getting rid of fake foods and eating more clean foods. This made a huge difference for my cravings. I no longer crave chocolate or sweets like I used to. I also don't keep the stuff in the house which makes a huge difference. It's taken a while but I'm slowly getting there!